New wheel cleaner - What to buy

Although I thought my black ultraleggeras would be better cleaning wise as they wouldn't look dirty - They're actual worse, as the satin finish looks really dirty with even the slightest layer of dust/dirt on them.

At the moment i'm using AG clean wheels with the AG wheel cleaning brush to clean them and its just not doing the job to be honest. After the first clean and rinse, all it seems to have done is dilute the dirt and spread it round on the wheel. Only after a final whip down with a MF does this layer of dirt get removed.

Basically i'm looking to reduce my labour involved with getting them clean and looking for a product that can clean them in one hit, with minimal agitation needed.

What would people suggest for this? Looking through reviews and things on DW forum Bilberry wheel cleaner seems to well accepted generally, and I do like the fact I can dilute this to suit how dirt my wheels are. I'm also going to buy some Iron X as i've got quite a lot of tar on my paint and again AG tar remover just doesn't cut it!

So I was thinking hitting the wheels with Iron X every couple of months, cleaning them once a week as normal with Bilberry wheel cleaner and finally ordering some Poorboys wheel sealant to help stop dirt sticking to them so badly.

The poorboys wheel sealants not that cheap at £14, and together with the bilberry and iron X i'm looking at spending the best part of £35 here just for cleaning my wheels. So before I go ahead and order - What are peoples thoughts on the above products?

This is what I use.
Autofinesse bleeding iorn to get rid of the hard stuff.
and sometimes Meguires hot rims.

But it the best time saver I have found is a big clean then a seal with a few layers of Poorboy's wheel seal.

My oz wheels are the same! Absolute pain in the back side and because I'm running CL RC6 up front they make a massive mess! I've used Kleers wheel cleaner as Mr.F has stated, a brilliant cleaner but I still have to use IronX on top to get them looking good again!
That said the Kleers wheel sealant is awesome! Seems to help prevent as much build up on contaminants from previous sealers I've tried :smile:
IMO AG stuff is mostly thought to be better than it really is. The super resin and HD wax are probably their better products.

Glad i'm not the only one thats found this problem with the finish on the OZ wheels!

I've ordered some stuff so i'll see how I get on with it next weekend. Think i'll take the wheels off, give them a proper clean and seal them with the poorboys sealant.

In the end I ordered some Bilberry over the Kleers, purely because of price. I'm sure the Kleers is great going off reviews but at £10 for 500ml its a bit pricey for me as I usually use about 1/4 of a bottle for each wash... With the Bilberry £9 for 1 litre and can dilute that right down too, so can mix it slightly stronger than normal for better cleaning.

Got a few pics here of my results using Bilberry, Iron X and Poorboys. Unfortunately its still not resulted in a one hit cleaning process, but i'm sure this is more down to the finish on the OZ wheels than the products themselves.

Wheels weren't too bad to start with, they only got cleaned 2 weeks prior to this. But I took them all off the car to clean and seal them inside and out.

This is the dusty/dirty layer i'm left with everytime with these wheels, its a pain! This is after 2 goes of Bilberry diluted 1:4 and agitated with one of their wheels cleaning brushes, followed by Iron X:

WheelCleaner4.jpg

WheelCleaner3.jpg

Shame i'm still left with this layer of dirt. Its not stuck to the wheels, it wipes off with you finger, but just doesn't seem to rinse away with the cleaner/water. It just means I have to give the wheels a buff with a MF after they've been cleaned.

Once i'd buffed them, applied a layer of poorboys sealant and give the tyres a quick shine, the wheels were as new :driveby:

WheelCleaner2.jpg

WheelCleaner1.jpg

WORD OF WARNING: Take note of the instructions on the poorboys - Don't leave on for more than 5-10 mins.

I tried doing 2 wheels at once, but by the time I got round to buffing it off, it was hardened pretty well onto the wheels! Took about 30 mins to get it all buffed out properly, although the near 30 degree temps over the weekend were probably the cause more than anything!

I can imagine your arm nearly fell off after leaving it to cure for the time Poorboys state. You could always try using Gyeon Q2 to seal them long term?

Yeah it was horrible, as soon as I tried to buff it off I realized i'd made a terrible mistake haha It was fully hardened on pretty much.

I'm only gona leave it 2-3 mins next time before buffing. It probably took me over an hour to get one coat of sealant on the wheels in the end and I gave up with multiple coats which is what I had planned!

Similar Thread Suggestions