New update 2/2..enlarged TB.

A mirrot finish, thats not a mirror finish in my line of manufacturing :wink:

On a serious note it'll be interesting to see what this does, keep us posted mate :smile:

having the inside of the throttle body polished is meant to decrease performance and it slows down/stops the venturi affect on the air. So I've heard.....

Be interesting to see if you feel anything once done :smile:

the polishing inside affecting venturi effect is more to do with inlet manifolds, depending on car and fuel system, by leaving the ruff cast finish inside it actually helps mix the air and fuel together compared to polished. But porting & mating on the other hand is a def. win

Some pics. Really nice work. Obviously the proof will be on the RR's. Anything around 5 bhp+ would be a massive plus given the cost. I'm still wonder whether the ecu will cope but gonna suck it n' see.....will keep you posted.

Theres very little outlay. Paid £15 for 172/182 TB off fleebay as they are the same as 197. Cost me £55 (not sure if thats a one off to generate interest) including postage. So £70 outlay if its crap is worth it against any gain even 3-5bhp. RS Tuning RR was 196 bhp so we'll see....its part of the fun trying something different.

Added to my shopping list depending on your feedback once it's fitted. :smile:

Looks to be a good job!!!

A rough internal tb/manifold offering better fuel/air mixing is pointless anyway as the injectors introduce the fuel at the cylinder heads face, fuel barely flows through any of the manifold.

Interesting project. I can't personally see this improving VE as it's usually the case of the most restricting part of the induction which ultimately has an effect on airflow. I would put my money on that being the airbox. Are you running oem induction?

Update...final fitted. I'll try to explain whats happened since.

First, the induction noise is superb and it appears to be much more 'grunty' at lower revs. It also appears that the powerband has shifted and where when you where flying and looked at the speedo it was 100+, it feels like doesn't get there quite as quick with regard to peak power. Considerably slower and sluggish than before on pick up in higher gear. Also when you rev it out of gear, the needle doesn't move as freely. It revs stays there a little longer than before.
I always felt that the clio revved freely but the power was really further up the range. Could feel at times like a def lack of torque but this is already well documented.

What the larger TB feels like it gives you more torque but this drops off quite steeply. It drove very fast but I had to drop a gear more frequent than previously. Best way to describe it was almost diesel like. I pulled out from a junction and was caught by surprise how quick it picked it feet up.
The feeling was very similar to first fitting the V6 airbox. Paul at RST map smoothed out the power and I get the feeling this too will need a map.
Although like the Airbox, I'm guessing once sorted, it means you don't have to work as hard and the power is available much further down the rev range. I think this with a set of cams is gonna make one special N\A little car, with a induction noise to match. For £60 def worth it.

My experience of modifying the clio is its very much about the sum of the total of small changes added together to make a bigger difference.

Last edited:
Yeh I would think it will need mapped before you see any gains mate, if you ever consider selling it give me a pm as I will take it off your hands lol

so your saying 'for £60 def worth it' if used in conjunction with a set of cams and a remap?

As everything else you said makes it sound detrimental to the engine and how it performs overall.

so your saying 'for £60 def worth it' if used in conjunction with a set of cams and a remap?

As everything else you said makes it sound detrimental to the engine and how it performs overall.

he means it will be even better with cams!

it would/will be interesting to see it mapped to just the throttle mod.....

maybe its me, but i cant honestly see how this would improve power, not at if your making the bore muchly bigger

No, can't say that for def will improve cause not fitted any cams yet. I'm guessing it will but time will tell and before\after figures but we all know doesn't always tell the true story.

As for detrimental, no again...just different. Def more lower torque but this appears to drop off quicker. The car feels very similar to when I first fitted the V6 airbox. RST map smoothed out the torque curve. The TB opening is 4mm wider which represents quite a lot bigger and the concept of running bigger TB isn't a new one to the clio.

Its hard at times to give a true appraisal and I'm mindful of any placebo effect sometimes you get from moddin'. Also I'm trying to be transparent. Too often people can give advice without ever tryin it, tell you where best to spend your money (without doing it either) or find it hard to say it didn't have the outcomes I expected or simply it doesn't work.
I guess we can all be armchair modders at times. I love trying cheap mods that have some gains. If I get small bhp peak and more torque then thats a result. To date I've gained 12bhp from standard for £500 including a remap.

I'm probably gonna wait until I've fitted the cams or at least till new year. I don't want to be paying £350 everytime I do a different mod. I'll do a power run first though to compare with previous one and keep people posted.
If after all, its not successful or better with standard TB and cams, the only loss is £60 and it takes 5 mins to undo 4 TB bolts and replace it with the original.

Last edited:
Great to see that you have fitted this and trying something new, a power run would be good to see if you have made any gains but nice one...:thumbup:

it may get better with a few miles on the clock as it normally take a fair few miles for the ecu to adjust to changes but eventually be even better with a remap, but your right in what your saying might aswell wait for the remap. think i may go down this route but also have some headwork done while im at it.

Nice one Litchy, fair play to you for having a go at something new.

And 4mm is quite a jump in terms of mm2. Infact 64mm TBs are what Jenvey make for ETCC/S2000 spec' engines which are ~280BHP. So, with your Inlet & Airbox, the only thing restricting air flow into your engine now is the Head itself and to a lesser extent the Cams. I think once mapped or once the ECU learns a little bit then that could give you quite an improvement.

I know you've read up already but Litchy, but some info' for everyone else who might consider doing this; Larger TBs will generally reduce throttle response as although they flow more air in terms of volume, the air flow is often slower in terms of velocity. Larger TBs can also have the effect of giving the throttle more of an on/off feel and can lose you some adjustability but the upside of that is what you've already said... Once the power comes in, it comes in a big kick.