New update 2/2..enlarged TB.

@Litchy - Now you got improved airflow are you also considering uprating injectors & Fuel pump, I don't know what flow rates they are as OEM and what headroom you get from them ( I know best practice is to run max at 80% duty cycle and you should never push them past 95% at the most).

But on previous cars after uprating airflow and then chasing bigger BHP always found both injectors and fuel pumps were then the bottle neck and required upgrading

Last edited:
UPDATE
Woke up today and car wouldn't start. Eventually started but was sluggish and wouldn't go over 30mph. Had error message 'check injectors'. Limped to my mates auto-electrican garage who plug laptop in. The problem was a faulty TB spring which mean't the TB was opening in-correctly. When you compared mine to the enlarged one, mine was much harder to open by hand. Either the TB was put back together in-correctly or the fault was there before it was enlarged. Either way it will seem that my original appraisal may well need to be done again once the issue has been resolved. Don't you just hate moddin'.

The good thing was at least I didn't mod the one off the car as always kept the option to but it back standard as I did. Now running as fine. Gonna send it back to guy who will replace the spring and I'll try again....

Last edited:
Ah what a bitch, so maybe after getting it sorted it will be a lot better after all? I always try and look at the positives when modding goes tits up, which in my past has been a lot!

UPDATE
Woke up today and car wouldn't start. Eventually started but was sluggish and wouldn't go over 30mph. Had error message 'check injectors'. Limped to my mates auto-electrican garage who plug laptop in. The problem was a faulty TB spring which mean't the TB was opening in-correctly. When you compared mine to the enlarged one, mine was much harder to open by hand. Either the TB was put back together in-correctly or the fault was there before it was enlarged. Either way it will seem that my original appraisal may well need to be done again once the issue has been resolved. Don't you just hate moddin'.

shame about that!hope you get it sorted mate.once the moddin bug gets you theres no turning back!!

Did you swap springs over, or just made adj. to new TB?

Also from what I found looks like 330cc injectors fitted to 197 as at 80% DC they would give 200BHP so makes sense they used them and if you increase to 90% DC they'll handle approx. 225BHP, so at least renault didn't skimp on them just need to confirm what fuel pump flow is as your throttle body mod. could be a real winner for little money.

Please don't take this as a dig at u, but I just can't see this being as good as u say,I'd love to see results before and after with the car the same apart from this mod

Please don't take this as a dig at u, but I just can't see this being as good as u say,I'd love to see results before and after with the car the same apart from this mod

Not sure if your referring to my figures, but I'm not saying those are figures he'll get from this mod.

But what the Std. injectors can handle meaning with the bigger TB you can get more air into the engine you can also ramp up the injector duty cycle to increase the fuel as well which in turn means more power with plenty of headroom so as not to encounter leaning out on any of the cylinders.

It's the same as fitting a bigger turbo to car, if the injectors/pump isn't up to the job then you'll get no more power from the engine

TBH not taken it that way. I'm in the dark as much as anyone. The one thing is having put it back to standard, even with the TB spring being 'looser', there was def more torque which is consistent having spoken with the person who enlarged it. He's never done a Clio before so he's as interested as I am. With regard to the spring, after speaking with him tonight, said once he took the case off and took TB apart, he said it was trial and error about winding the spring back on. Said it was guess work and obviously, should have wound it on other time.
Sending it back to tighten the spring and fit again in new year.

Litchy: Clio197.net's resident guinea pig lol.

Keep up the good work Litchy, I'm sure you'll get it sorted.

Update

Plus points, major gains up the rev range and couldn't believe how the bigger TB keep you in the powerband....Negatives real idling issues. Revs won't settle and strangely at idle, if you rev it hard at a standstill, the needle doesn't return, the engine just keeps revvin' like the TB is stuck? My friends reset the TB settings in the ecu but still had the same problems. Not sure if needs remap, problem with the original TB or something else but certainly needs more thought!!!!!

Last edited:
Sounds very odd. Have you taken the Airbox off to watch the TB and see if it's returning to it's rest position after letting off the throttle? There might still be a problem with that TB somewhere along the line? Is anything else playing up, have you tried it with your SprintBooster turned off? Might be confusing it...

With the gains you've felt I'm sure it'd be a great addition if the idle could be fixed.

Sounds very odd. Have you taken the Airbox off to watch the TB and see if it's returning to it's rest position after letting off the throttle? There might still be a problem with that TB somewhere along the line? Is anything else playing up, have you tried it with your SprintBooster turned off? Might be confusing it...

With the gains you've felt I'm sure it'd be a great addition if the idle could be fixed.

It returns if you dont stamp on it. I get the feeling that 64mm is to big and only works well given the cup racers are cable. Sprintbooster might be a good shout.....I'll try without it. Maybe given the TB are servo assisted 64mm is too big???

Could be, it's a fair increase in size, around 7.5% off the top of my head...

Still, I would've thought it'd still close the butterfly all the way which would drop the revs as per normal? Hmmm...

Could be, it's a fair increase in size, around 7.5% off the top of my head...

Still, I would've thought it'd still close the butterfly all the way which would drop the revs as per normal? Hmmm...

It will be a good mod, just need to find the happy medium. Maybe 62mm?