New steering rack advice

Heppy997

Paid Member
Hi all

The steering rack is shagged on my 197, I've had a look around and can get hold of a used one for about £50 or a brand new one for £250.....im leaning towards the new one but what are people's thoughts? The new one is a 200 cup version i believe, will this fit my car?

Also is there anything worthwhile replacing whilst the subframe is dropped? Anti roll bar bushes etc..

Cheers

I'd go for new everytime. The 200 cup rack is a good upgrade and is plug and play so to speak. It may also be worth replacing the manifold if your flexis are shot.

Can't speak for a Clio but I went for a pattern rack rather than a genuine one on my Alfa 156 & the car was never the same afterwards. New every time for me & that doesn't sound too pricey to me either though I've never priced a Clio rack. Cup rack worthwhile upgrade imho.

Mine has lots of play too! Can you drop in a Cup Rack to a non-clio?
I'm guessing the infamous auto-correct has struck again? :d But yes, you can replace a rack in a non-cup car with a cup rack.

I'm guessing the infamous auto-correct has struck again? :d But yes, you can replace a rack in a non-cup car with a cup rack.
Well spotted lmao nightmare sometimes these phones are!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Well, i went for the 200 cup rack and had it fitted, but I'm still getting a knocking sound when turning the wheel and going over bumps etc. I (think) I've narrowed it down to potentially the front spring but I'm not 100%. Ahh these cars can be fun lol

The spring could be the culprit, although there are a couple of things it could be... ball joint or track rod end to name two! Hopefully it's nothing too expensive after doing the rack.