New owner with pools of oil around 1 & 3 spark plug

Hi all. Am in need of some help. Just purchased a 197. Cambelt was replaced 6 months ago, with only 4k on the new belt. Drove home 150 miles and there's pools of oil around the plugs 1 & 3. Have read various posts on this issue on the forum and people are saying i need to put sealant on/under these cam cover bolts. I can't get to them because they're half obscured by the air intake that sits above the engine (the coil leads run right over these bolts). I can't see how this is a 10 minute job if the whole air intake has to be unbolted and removed first. (Am a bit pissed off that this oil leak wasn't fixed when the cambelt was replaced recently) Also I don't understand how the coil seals could have anything to do with this issue as I read somewhere on this forum. All my bolts are 8mm not 10mm as forum threads suggest. Can anyone help?

hi..it can be done..ideally you need to take of your inlet but i did it without doing so..remove your coils and then the bolts..get some high temp sealant and refit everything..should stop pouring it out..
if you feel confident enough,just remove your inlet and then you will have enough room to do what ever you need to do on your engine..

hope it helps

hi..it can be done..ideally you need to take of your inlet but i did it without doing so..remove your coils and then the bolts..get some high temp sealant and refit everything..should stop pouring it out..
if you feel confident enough,just remove your inlet and then you will have enough room to do what ever you need to do on your engine..

hope it helps
hi Pav, thanks very much. I managed to use a big screwdriver with an 8mm socket to do the job without removing anything else to get access. I can't understand why there are no seals under any of those cover bolts fitted from factory, or oil seals in the bolt holes if oil is moving freely around in those wells from the cam gallery. It would be a simple fix!

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Clio 200 Area 2
S New Members 6
A New Members 5
L New Members 4
L Clio 197 Area 8