new owner of a 2006 Clio 197 1.5 dCi

hi there my name is Sam, i picked up my Clio on Monday the test drive was perfect everything seemed in working order driving it around Monday evening and Tuesday morning but Tuesday afternoon something felt wrong.
i shifted into fourth at 30 mph put my foot down on the accelerator going onto the motorway (so i had to get up to speed fast) as i put my foot down on the accelerator my revs spiked to about 4,000 but i gained no speed i was still going 30mph my foot was off the clutch but i can only describe it as if the clutch wasn't connecting and all of a sudden the revs would dump back down and i will start gaining speed but it was repeatedly happening so i took it back to the dealer i bought it from he said i wasn't covered on any warranty so he test drove it and said yes the clutch is slipping he can feel it. it is now in the garage that the dealer recommended and the dealer said he will pay half, they are saying they are going to fit a new clutch. i have a few questions, if a new clutch is fitted will i expect to see this problem again any time soon? and secondly while they are fitting the clutch if there is a problem with the gear box will they spot it? and thirdly if there was a problem with the gear box would that cause the clutch to wear?

what i am worried about is if they miss a gearbox problem and they fit a new clutch then wont the same problem happen again?

the car is 9 years old with 55k miles could this be the manufacturers clutch and its just worn down over time?

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum.

Clutch slip is usually caused by wear and tear and age. Your car isn't especially high mileage at all for the age, so it could be just the way it has been driven in the past that has caused it to wear out.

Once a new clutch is in then it should last for a significant amount of time and you shouldn't have to worry about it happening again. I wouldn't have thought that a gearbox problem would affect the clutch wear, however someone with more mechanical knowledge will be able to confirm that.

As for the garage detecting a gearbox problem - do you believe there is one with your car?

I'm not quite sure about any of the mechanical side of this but if i'd bought a car on Monday and the clutch started slipping on Tuesday there is no way that I would let the dealer get away with only paying half....

It might just be me but surely if this started happening the day after you get the car, warranty or no warranty any reasonable dealer would acknowledge the fault and sort it out for you (at no cost) ?

^^ This is a very good point, I agree! Surely it's not fit for purpose and I can't imagine that you would have worn the clutch out in just a few days! Don't back down too easily!

No way you should pay for something like this. The dealer must pay for the whole lot without even any questions being asked.

As for the clutch, don't worry, a new clutch kit (including slave cylinder, make sure they change this part as well) should bring things up to where they should:smile:

No way you should pay for something like this. The dealer must pay for the whole lot without even any questions being asked.

As for the clutch, don't worry, a new clutch kit (including slave cylinder, make sure they change this part as well) should bring things up to where they should:smile:

Only just picked the car up and you're paying for it! No chance!

Tell them to ball off and give it back. Go find yourself a good example.

hi guys thanks for the advice just a quick update this morning i rang the dealer and told him i have my right and under the consumer guarantee act i shouldn't be paying any repairs within the first 30 days he basically told me wear and tear its not his problem bla bla bla so i said ok well i will pay half but i will take this further, went to the garage the invoice read £310 so i paid £150 dealer paid £160 i left happy the car felt much better although clutch felt a lot easier to push but a lot more responsive. in regards to taking this further i will be paying a £70 court fee to take the guy to court to claim back half of the payment as i was advised by a magistrate that i know to do so. i have a feeling this car may be cursed though because today i was turning into a side road and a guy pulled out from the same road to go around me and scuffed my rear driver side bumper :worried: he agreed to pay full costs so i will get that sorted

Sorry to hear about the bump, that's all you need!

You do right taking it further, it sounds like the dealer is a bit of a cowboy - the fact he agreed to pay half speaks volumes: if it was true that it was just wear and tear then why did he agree to pay anything?? Admission of guilt in my book... Keep us posted with how you get on.

But good to hear that you're happy with the way the car drives now, hopefully you can start enjoying it now :smile:

such bad luch re the bump, you really don't need these things on a car you just bought.

Glad the car feels nice now and as jimmy said yes, take it further (as you very wisely did).

Sam,

Don't let an unfortunate start spoil the car for you mate. You chose it for a reason, and it's a good one trust me! Just keep the faith for a bit. There will be times when it puts a massive smile on your face.

As for the EXTREMELY poor behaviour by the dealer, please don't take that lying down mate. Fight it as much as you can manage. No one should take the pistols out of you like that.

Good luck and I hope she's fixed up and entertaining you soon.

Isn't there a new law now saying that withing 30 days of owning the car the dealer has to either refund you the car cost or replace it with a working one??

Glad it's resolved the mechanical side of things , however the dealer sounds dodgy, I fear that you already paying half of the amount will go against you if you go down the court route ,you have already accepted the arangements by doing so. You would have been better refusing the vehicle.

Regarding the dodgy dealer as [MENTION=52200]montana[/MENTION] mentioned paying half already ruins my chances taking it to court taking it further in general. To be totally honest with you i really don't mind the whole issue if it has fixed the car and i don't have any more problems involving the clutch or slave cylinder then i'm happy. regarding the bump on the rear bumper them marks just polished off and that was all sorted, everything is going well with the car since then thanks for the advice guys :smile:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• WP_20160125_16_50_32_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160125_16_50_32_Pro.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 34
  • WP_20160125_16_51_06_Pro.jpg
    WP_20160125_16_51_06_Pro.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 34
still have not got a name for her yet, i dont want to do what i done with my last car and name her as she is being taken for scrap last car was named Lucy xD

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Clio 200 Area 2
S New Members 6
A New Members 5
L New Members 4
L Clio 197 Area 8