New number plate light problems

LiamRS197

Paid Member
Hi guys, hopefully someone can help. Recently purchased the following number plate bulbs:
(http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191550222023?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT)
However unfortunately the lighting unit itself does not work when connected. I've tried the bulbs separately on a 12v supply and they work fine, however once connected to the connector on the car they are intermittent, so I can only presume the connector inside the lighting unit isn't long enough to reach the terminal on the number plate connector from the car, if you catch my drift.

I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, or could offer any advice as it would be appreciated :smile:

I'm not sure on the different lengths of bulbs available, however I know that a number of people on the forum have used these 501 LEDs and they appear to have been the best bet - used all round the car, from sidelights to interior lights etc.

as above..get some of them mate..as long as the whole unit is not broken,i would only change the bulbs..cheaper and easier..

Sounds like you may need to replace the whole unit. however I would check the connections are clean and making good contact with the bulb itself before replacing. a multimeter may help too.

I had issues with one of these bulbs, do either of them work for you? Ended up asking the seller for a replacement, which worked eventually.

I found the wire leading into the connector needed pushing hard into it once it was all connected to the light.

I had issues with one of these bulbs, do either of them work for you? Ended up asking the seller for a replacement, which worked eventually.

I found the wire leading into the connector needed pushing hard into it once it was all connected to the light.

The bulbs only work 1 way around (try reversing if doesn't work). I also found for some of the bulbs, I had to bend the pins out a little to ensure connectivity. Couple bulbs took a few attempts to work, but they all did eventually :smile:

Neither of them worked for me mate no, I tried everything, pulling the connectors further out of the lighting housing, swapping them over etc.

Makes me hesitant to purchase another set, might just go for another set of cheap and cheerful for now.