New Nimbus Grey 197 Cup owner

Hi everyone.....

Well having owned a Punto Sporting for just shy of 2 years i have finally took the plunge into RenaultSport ownership. I had a long debate with myself about what to buy next and looked at a few cars including a Corsa VXR, EP3 Civic Type R but the 197 Cup just felt much more enjoyable so I put a deposit down yesterday on a Nimbus 197 Cup, 46k miles, Cambelt & Aux belt done at 42k with a brilliant service history. Can't wait to take it for a spin to North Wales. Its a no A/C model without Recaro's which i would have liked but the condition of the car was too good to turn down and the standard seats offer plenty of support for daily driving.

Old steed on the left.......
DSC_0219copybig_zpsf9f618cd.jpg

No real plans for the car at the minute apart from a set of new RenaultSport mats and KTR induction.

Cheers :smile:

Last edited:
Welcome bud, it must feel crazy different from the Punto.

I remember coming from my first car, a 1.4 Y reg clio to the 197. Best driving day of my life haha.

Yes. It feels awesome to drive/own something which is actually set up and intended to be driven enthusiastically :smiley:

In terms of performance it feels like a missile compared to the Punto. Collection day is Friday.

Welcome bud, it must feel crazy different from the Punto.

I remember coming from my first car, a 1.4 Y reg clio to the 197. Best driving day of my life haha.

i went from a 1.0L micra to a evo 8, running 400 bhp :lol: which practically ruined my expenses. I also nearly died on a couple of occasions

And welcome to the forum fella :smile: need any help just ask, p.s become a paid member :wink: well worth the £5 for access to the how to and traders section

i went from a 1.0L micra to a evo 8, running 400 bhp :lol: which practically ruined my expenses. I also nearly died on a couple of occasions
I shouldn't but i couldn't help but laugh at the last part of your post......... a guy i know of had an Evo 6 RS running 400bhp at age of 19 which was just mesmerising.

I shouldn't but i couldn't help but laugh at the last part of your post......... a guy i know of had an Evo 6 RS running 400bhp at age of 19 which was just mesmerising.

Youll love the clio mate, perfect amount of power for an everyday car tbh and its more about the cornering that the straight line speed with these. Jeeze i was 20 and the insurance was mental + the insane servicing costs

That's what swung it for me regarding the options i was weighing up, nothing felt as good as the Clio in the bends.

Having admired the hot Renault's for a number of years i knew it was a field where i would definitely enter it was just a case of waiting for the finances to improve and me finding my ideal spec car. I knew that from day 1 i had to have the Cup model purely because it features a revised spring/damper set up yet on the second hand market there is virtually no difference in price between a Cup and non Cup model (obviously this is comparing a similar mileage 197 of the same year as the Cup). The Cup is quite a rare model, Renault only built 432 for the UK market of which 79 where finished in my colour, Nimbus Silver (Glacier white and Racing Blue were the other 2 options, 266 and 87 of each were built). Mine does without the optional A/C and Recaro seats which i would have liked but this was a great example i just couldn't turn it down. A viewing was arranged on the 21st April, a quick test drive confirmed my decision. I wanted it and left a deposit that day. 4 days until collection, it was Christmas all over again........... but at my expense.

I collected the car on Friday (25th April) having handed over £6350 i could't help but think i had got an absolute bargain purely because the car was the cheapest 197 Cup in the country with over £600 spent on it in the last 4 months including the dreaded cambelt change. Collection day was a fairly dull process, picking the car up was exciting but the drive home in the pouring rain was fairly dull...... i don't think i managed to take the car past 4.5k rpm and when you have an additional 3000 rpm to play with it was a relatively boring drive.

Saturday loomed, dry day. Perfect. A spirited drive on a local seciton of A road and wow........ it felt absolutely fantastic. The steering, damping and initial turn in just feels sublime. You know exactly where the front end is and exactly what its doing. Coming from a 1.4 Fiat Punto to the Clio is just a revelation (which i did expect) but it really has left a big impression on me. The engine is so eager to rev and after 5k it pulls really hard right to the red line. The gearbox is a talking point amongst the Clio owners for it's reliability but mine feels absolutely spot on... precise and easy to find that next cog when you are really going for it. Lets hope it stays that way :smile:

Any criticisms..... nothing at the minute apart from i wish the pedals were positioned level with each other; the accelerator sits a couple of CM further back than the brake pedal so at the minute heel and toeing is a little tricky but i am gradually learning to just roll my foot across to blip the throttle on the down changes. The Punto required me to flick my heel across which once i got used to felt so natural but its a learning curve jumping into a new car and i can't wait to get to know the Clio better.

So anything planned for the car...... at the minute it feels great but the Falken's are looking a little low and once the summer is over they will be well and truly passed their best. Winter will see some AD08R's purchased (all round) in time for the spring. An induction kit is also on the cards and some other little trinkets, mainly OCD related. The front discs are lipped slightly so i think new front discs, pads and DOT51 fluid will be acquired at some point in the near future.

Pics below...

14042927233_93e1c19642_b.jpg
197 Cup
by Adam Melville, on Flickr

14019699782_36d7250fd0_b.jpg
Rivals

14042883113_3cc6fbd808_b.jpg
RenaultSport

13999743596_0dc5f3d59b_b.jpg
Rear