new member from gloucester

Hi , i have just bought a 197 in need of a little tlc , got it at a good price though , its black , recaro's , 18" oz ultralageras , rear strut brace , h&r springs , port/polished throttle bodie and maybe a few other bits , looking to supercharge in the near future or take the engine out and replace with a r26 lump , then a decent set of coily's kw v3's or something along those lines , think the 197 needs a good service as it is quite hesitant when accelerating and feels a bit kangaroo'y at times , also think it needs a cam belt ?? is it a big job ??

Welcome to the site mate. Cam belt is done on the cars major service when the car is 5 years old, quite pricey too. With regards to the kangerooing it is quite common in the 197's and a remap normally sorts it.

Welcome to the club dude.

This sounds like Jamie's old 197. This one: IMG_0001.jpg

Not to scare you since your new but he didnt really take care of it. I'd recommend selling the wheels as he mentioned 3 of them having been cracked and repaired.

Welcome to the site, could this be jamies old car.?
With the hoppity,just leave it to warm up for a couple of mins before driving off.

yes its jamie's old car , i payed 5.5k for it as it needs £400-£500 spent on it , the last lad had it bloody serviced at kwik fit for the last service with patten parts so going down to renaults tommorow to get some decent oil and service bits the rest is all renault service history so not to bad, going to get a price of fred at btm motorsport for cambelt as the car is on 73k miles , changing the wheels for 17's , they look to be fine also , will get them looked at in the next week down my local garage and see what is going on with them ,

yes its jamie's old car , i payed 5.5k for it as it needs £400-£500 spent on it , the last lad had it bloody serviced at kwik fit with patten parts so going down to renaults tommorow to get some decent oil and service bits , going to get a price of fred at btm motorsport for cambelt as the car is on 73k miles , changing the wheels for 17's , they look to be fine also , will get them looked at in the next week down my local garage and see what is going on with them ,

Spose you did get a 197 for £5.5k so cant be all bad.

Like you said though. Show it a few £100 and TLC and she'll be like new.

welcome, ive always quite liked the look of this car particularly in this photo. hopefully u get a better reception than the last driver tho, nice car, nice price a few 100£ spent and u will have a brilliant car at a great price

Welcome to the site. Good price that mate, even though it needs some work.

Welcome mate sure it's gone to a good home you will have her back to her best

well so far the car needs

boot repairing where previous owner made a balls of taking spoiler of
back bumper spraying
servicing with genuine bits not crap patten bits
cam belt as its on 73k miles
few little dings taking out
passenger side wing mirror glass
passenger seat is a bit scagged
2 new seals where the door shuts as they are a bit worn
set of 17" wheels as the 18's are to big IMO

thats all i can think of at the mo , its booked in tommorow to have the steering sorted out and bits fitted , and then booked in on saturday to have paint sorted out , will also be serviced tommorow with all genuine bits and renault oil (major service minor the cam belt) , the last owner has let the car get a little run down and obviously didnt care about the car much !! shouldnt be long before its back to its tidy self again , going to get it detailed in the next few weeks to make the paintwork like new also !!!

Last edited:
just dropped the car down to a very reputable spary shop in tewkesbury , after looking over the car i have opted to get the rear bumper sprayed , rear boot repaired and sprayed , and rear quarter sprayed as it has been sprayed before and the laquer underneath the paint is starting to go white !! should be half about when i get it back , then im going to get it detailed as there are quite a few marks on the paint work , nothing a detail wont get out , only thing that lets the car down is it doesnt feel overly quick also , doesnt feel like its 190bhp for sure , more like 160bhp

215 45 18 , and 225 45 18 on the rear's , they need a 40 profile tyre really , they will be coming of in the next week or so as i am buying a set of 17" alloys as the tyres are just so expensive for 18" , the wheels have been repaired before as stated before i had on the ramps earlier and you can see welds on one wheel , they dont leak air however and are all true and not kurbed , just the paint is scratched and flaking of in some places , if anyone wants them i will be selling them for £350 + £25 delivery or collection from gloucester

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A New Members 3
I New Members 1
Red Baguette New Members 7
OutlawAsh New Members 1
A New Members 17