New guy - North Wales

They can be, they're notoriously difficult to get setup for a decent fast road setup (FRSU) especially on UK roads. Although mine was smooth and handled well, it just never felt right but on track not much can keep with them supposedly. It's hard to explain, mind you I did notice one day up at the EVO triangle when I was on the limit it just gripped. Grip grip grip where as the day to day stuff it felt soft.

The best handling car I've ever had was a 306GTI6, pretty much standard apart from having the rear wheel steer eliminated by Skip Brown, made it handle even better. Second to that was probably the CRX VTEC. These Clio's sound like they handle well and that's what I'm after. More of a driving experience than outright speed. If I do get one the plan is to go Bilstein suspension eventually and get the handling/braking sorted.

How do they stop from standard, are the OEM brakes any good? The Brembos on the DC5 were awful, had to put Hawk HP+ pads on in the end but they don't seem to do Hawks for the Clio and I really rate them as a pad. Can you get Pagid RS29's for the Clio?

While I'm at it, does the 197/200 suffer from electrical issues at all, or are the engines quite strong?

Cheers!

They can be, they're notoriously difficult to get setup for a decent fast road setup (FRSU) especially on UK roads. Although mine was smooth and handled well, it just never felt right but on track not much can keep with them supposedly. It's hard to explain, mind you I did notice one day up at the EVO triangle when I was on the limit it just gripped. Grip grip grip where as the day to day stuff it felt soft.

The best handling car I've ever had was a 306GTI6, pretty much standard apart from having the rear wheel steer eliminated by Skip Brown, made it handle even better. Second to that was probably the CRX VTEC. These Clio's sound like they handle well and that's what I'm after. More of a driving experience than outright speed. If I do get one the plan is to go Bilstein suspension eventually and get the handling/braking sorted.

How do they stop from standard, are the OEM brakes any good? The Brembos on the DC5 were awful, had to put Hawk HP+ pads on in the end but they don't seem to do Hawks for the Clio and I really rate them as a pad. Can you get Pagid RS29's for the Clio?

While I'm at it, does the 197/200 suffer from electrical issues at all, or are the engines quite strong?

Cheers!

Standard Brembos are very good. Standard pads are fine, but some Ferodo DS2500 or 1.11 pads and there isn't much that will stop better.

Reactions: Crazylegs

Cheers!

Brakes and engine are strong, it's gearboxes (particularly the syncros) that are the weak link.
They don't like to be rushed and when people do, they strip.

Reactions: Crazylegs
Thank you everyone for all your help in here, really appreciate it.

Anyone based around Conwy that fancies taking me for a blast in one at all? I've not seen many around here.