New Clio Cup breaks Snett Record

djjackwilson

Platinum Member
http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/champ...-demolishes-Snetterton-lap-record-on-UK-debut

Now, although it has beaten the lap record (from two years ago), it is easy to see why.

"220hp turbo-powered engine... tuned by Oreca Magny-Cours"

"AP Racing clutch"

"adjustable dampers from ZF-Sachs with specific aluminium suspension wishbones"

"improved AP Racing brakes"

"changes are lightning fast with the paddle shift"

All this - and only 1.9 seconds quicker... Interesting.

P.S. I know everyone will say it will take some getting used to - yes; but with all the updates I was expecting more?

plus; the lap record broken was at race pace.

Mr. J. Goff did a 2:08.720 to put it on pole last season

Last edited:
That's a huge difference to beat the outgoing racer by that much.

Sounds like they've got more scope for setup adjustments too over the current model.

That's a huge difference to beat the outgoing racer by that much.

Sounds like they've got more scope for setup adjustments too over the current model.

I was expecting more, especially over all of the updates. Plus Snett is mainly straights - where looking at the Timings, the main gains are sec 1/2. 3 is similar to that of the current spec.

Also, did anyone else know they use 205/620R17 Dunlop A46D LA720's on the 8J's?

1.9 seconds is a huge amount of time over a single lap.

Think how much that'd cost to achieve in F1 for example. :smile:

1.9 seconds is a huge amount of time over a single lap.

Think how much that'd cost to achieve in F1 for example. :smile:

Yes, but at Snett with more power and a more track focused car - it's not that much.

Bespoke brakes, clutch, faster changes and slightly lighter.

It's always going to be quicker, but not as much as I thought.

You do realise that it's the Cup race car don't you and not a modified road car? The outgoing Cup race car uses uprated brakes and suspension and more power over the road version too...

The new Cup race car has beat the outgoing Cup race car by what is quite a lot over a single lap, that's the point of the press release.

You do realise that it's the Cup race car don't you and not a modified road car? The outgoing Cup race car uses uprated brakes and suspension and more power over the road version too...

The new Cup race car has beat the outgoing Cup race car by what is quite a lot over a single lap, that's the point of the press release.

The current cups use standard disc's with changed pads.

Suspension - yes I'll give you that, but the new one is, apparently, more refined, and also has a lot more of adjustment.

Power - 205-10 bhp - new one is 220

And it's always going to beat it - but, especially at Snett because of its new length, I was expecting more.

Yeah the pads will make quite a difference though especially sans the weight of the interior and all that gubbins. Plus with the 200T roadcar not running anything special I'd guess at the AP's being 4Pots, strange that they haven't stuck with Brembo though. The 10-ish BHP plus associated torque difference is probably what's gained the time, which isn't a huge jump in power anyway really so to find that much time is impressive. It must either be a lot better on the brakes (is it lighter than the outgoing one?) or a lot quicker down the straights for it to set a time that much faster I'd think...

Last edited:
Yeah the pads will make quite a difference though especially sans the weight of the interior and all that gubbins. The 10-ish BHP plus associated torque difference is probably what's gained the time, which isn't a huge jump in power anyway really so to find that much time is impressive. It must either be a lot better on the brakes (is it lighter than the outgoing one?) or a lot quicker down the straights for it to set a time that much faster I'd think...

The torque of the 1.6 is a joke compared. In a straight line from the old chicane to the line it was 5-6mph quicker. So there's 0.4 seconds by the first corner in race trim.

The new brakes apparently make it easier to stop. Josh Flies said he was braking in the same place he would a 200, and it was stopping well. Especially given the higher speeds.

It's a roughly the same weight - smaller engine, and lighter materials used. Gearbox and clutch don't really add too much weight compared with the old sequential - which was pretty heavy too.

All the speed traps; second straight, long back, start finish, it was atleast 5 mph quicker - so that's why I was expecting more.

Last edited:
4.5 seconds is more like it! I presumed the new cup racer would be lighter than the old one, just because the road car is lighter, also it seems to have a bit more to the dash board and all the electric gubbins must weigh a little bit.

Got to say though, they don't look as good in the pics, its the complete lack of wide arches that ruins it.

4.5 seconds is more like it! I presumed the new cup racer would be lighter than the old one, just because the road car is lighter, also it seems to have a bit more to the dash board and all the electric gubbins must weigh a little bit.

Got to say though, they don't look as good in the pics, its the complete lack of wide arches that ruins it.

roughly the same weight, as neither car shares similar dash's to their road worthy counterpart.

its the extra torque and power, along with bespoke parts that makes it so much quicker. Which is the sort of speed I was expecting.

Safe to say, I'm not expecting a 1,2 finish at Imola from Pyro...

They're running different tyres arent they too?

Just got back from motorland and there were a few rs' around - looked a lot better in the flesh!!

They're running different tyres arent they too?

Just got back from motorland and there were a few rs' around - looked a lot better in the flesh!!

Believe they're still on Michelins, but not too sure about the compound ect.

I think when we all see them, our impressions may change; but for the moment, I think they're god awful.

Put it this way;

When the 197 was originally used (2006 season) I instantly wanted one. Then the 200 made me work to get one.

This new one came about late last season. September I think, and I hated it, I felt they'd ruined their image.

I was originally planning on saving up and getting a new one; but when they released the cup pics, I changed my mind and opted for the lovely 200 not 2 months later.