New Clio 200 owner in the North West

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Matt Scarbro, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Matt Scarbro

Matt Scarbro Paid Member

Clio 200
    Hello All! Copied across from ClioSport as I registered there first...

For as long as I've been driving, Renaultsport have been making drivers' cars and I've always deeply admired them for it. As a Honda man I felt like they had taken over the mantle for making exciting and engaging affordable cars. With the low income of a student I read Evo magazine cover to cover and built up the iconic cars such as the Clio Trophy and then R26.R as real working class heroes; the sort of cars I would aspire to own once working full time.

Jump forward a decade and despite being a massive driving enthusiast and having owned quite a number of different cars, I've never dipped my toe into the Renaultsport pool until now.

A little about my motoring past, I started off with classic Minis as my father spent his working life building engines for them. I had (and rolled) a 998cc as my first car before progressing, having learnt to drive a bit, to a well modified Clubman.
    From there I went Japanese with a series of mk2 Honda CRXs, modified to varying degrees, then an S2000 and more recently I got into trackdays and started a love affair with MX5s.

My partner and I are now fortunate enough to have a lovely BMW 435d as our nice car, I have a fairly ridiculous, borderline time attack, Honda-powered MX5 track car and a share in another MX5 as a cheap winter track slag. Our second car, used mainly for running to the train station and about town has been an Audi A2, but I desperately missed having a small, fun, manual road car.

That brings us up to date and we have replaced the Audi with a Clio 200 Cup.
    I was looking at R26s (couldn't afford the .R) and other similar hot hatch alternatives, but decided I preferred the more modern feel and mechanical simplicity of the Clio.

Despite the car having utter crap tyres (why do people do this on drivers cars?), I've been thoroughly impressed with the little terrier! It's just so much fun and I can't believe Renault make something so focused as a normal, full production road car! For the first time in a while I keep going out in the evenings and just driving! :smiley:

As you can tell, I can ramble on a bit so I'll leave it there and pop some pictures of the Clio here, I'm chuffed with it!

Enlight1.jpg

Enlight1.jpg

IMG_2024.JPG

2. nutnutwelshman

nutnutwelshman Spa-tacus Area Rep

Heathrow
    220T TROPHY
    Welcome to the Family Matt glad you're enjoying her enjoy your stay on the forum

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  3. sevenfourate

sevenfourate Devotee of OCD Moderator

Lowestoft, England.
    Racing Blue RS-200
    Welcome aboard Matt.

Second pic has a rather stunning backdrop...... :smile:

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  4. mr freeze

mr freeze Paid Member

manchester
    Alien green 200 cup
    Very nice mate and welcome :french: what part of the north west are you in .

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  5. Pav

Pav Moderator

Manchester
    albi blue 197
    welcome along..very nice looking 200..enjoy your stay..

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  6. Dystant

Dystant Detailing Dale Paid Member

Manchester
    Clio 200 CUP
    Welcome along, lovely introduction! :good:

Car looks ace and my god those Recaros look pristine! Bet you're scared of getting in and out of them :tearsofjoy:

You got any mods planned? :smile:

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  7. Timbo

Timbo

Clio Sport 200 Cup Trophee
    Congrats! We're on different continents, but our cars are brothers from the same mother![​IMG]

8. LOCKE

LOCKE Paid Member

Glasgow
    RB 182 Cup/LY 197 R27
    Welcome. That looks a nice find indeed mate.

Colin

Matt Scarbro and sevenfourate like this.
  9. Matt Scarbro

Matt Scarbro Paid Member

Clio 200
    Thanks for the very warm welcome! :blush:

I'm in Crewe, Cheshire and spend a bit of time over in Lincs as I have family there.

I'm an absolute terror for modifying cars so there are definitely plans afoot! In fact I've already been quite bad! The following meme captures my battle really well...

IMG_2718.JPG

I never listen to that man in he mirror so I'll start a project thread with what's happened so far and future plans.

Jimmy, Dystant, DS197 and 1 other person like this.
  10. Johnny 99

Johnny 99 Platinum Member

Inverness
    Clio Renaultsport 200
    Welcome along. Good car history & a great introduction. Enjoy the car. Looking forward to your project thread.

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  11. MarkTeamF1

MarkTeamF1 POTM Winner - March 2017 Paid Member

R27 197 #379
    Very warm welcome bud! You couldn't of joined a better community of caring and knowledgeable people! If in doubt always ask! Someone will have the answer!

Jimmy and Matt Scarbro like this.
  12. matt9566

matt9566 Paid Member

Barnsley
    Ultra Red R27 #91
    Welcome to the forum! Car looks great! Look forward to seeing your progress

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  13. DS197

DS197 Paid Member

London
    Clio 197
    Welcome to the site Matt. I've never seen a meme I can relate to more than the one you've posted :tearsofjoy:

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  14. Antti O

Antti O Gold Member

Mikkeli, Finland
    Clio 197 Ultra red 2007
    Welcome, 200 cup is true drivers car.

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  15. Sneydster

Sneydster Gold Member

Dundee
    Gordini #47
    Welcome to the site and to the world of Renaultsport. Never failes to amaze me how people gloss over and look over these cars then drive one and instantly fall in love with them.

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  16. Matt Scarbro

Matt Scarbro Paid Member

Clio 200
    Indeed, in full disclosure I had my eye taken by a well modified FN2 Civic with B14s, Quaife and other good stuff.

Arranged to test drive it and a friend suggested I try the Clio too. We always talk about how we love the Renaultsport cars and on track the drivers always seem to be our sort of people so I arranged a second viewing of a 200 on the same day. The rest as they say is history!..

matt9566 likes this.
  17. Cossers

Cossers Paid Member

Vxr astra (j) and an r27
    Welcome along, I do really like the 2 tone recaros! Very nice

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  18. Big Ben

Big Ben Paid Member

Herts
    Welcome along Matt. Love that meme:smiley:

Matt Scarbro likes this.
  19. Matt Scarbro

Matt Scarbro Paid Member

Clio 200
  20. Jimmy

Jimmy Good cop Administrator

Welcome to the forum Matt, and what a great introduction that was! The 200 is looking good, and very glad to hear you're enjoying it so much! Nothing like a 'f*** it I'm off for a drive' moment!

Matt Scarbro likes this.