New Clio 197 Owner - Lichfield

Heya Folks

Brought an Ultra Red 197 2 weeks ago - must say I am loving it so far!

So far its had Red Seat Belts fitted to the front, KTec Exhaust, All the black grills and diffuser sprayed up in Gloss Black, Cup Spoiler, Heko Wind Deflectors and the Interior radio surround sprayed in Ultra Red.

I haven't got any more plans for it really, been looking at projector lights and then maybe some H&R Springs.

148575_10153050150715057_543910646_n.jpg

543695_10153050150470057_1550282505_n.jpg

970024_10153050150435057_1971543051_n.jpg

...although the most recent picture is this

1150427_10153088661595057_191007936_n.jpg

Its currently feeling sorry for itself at a local garage, it wouldn't start when I got in it yesterday morning and returned the ''STEERING NOT LOCKED'' message - RAC couldnt figure out what it was, Garage thought it would be the TDC but then realised the immobilizer wasn't turning itself off.

I have an Auto Locksmith coming to look at the car tomorrow who said he should be able to fix it - if not its got to go into Renault :worried:

Last edited:
^ I also organise these sprints mate. Let me know if you're popping along or if you want a space on track! £60 for non stop track action and a barrel of laughs.

Car looks good but if you're getting H&R springs, bang on some cup dampers too, or save and get a good coilover setup.

I've had that exact same problem this week.

I trickle charged the battery over nights and its been fine ever since. (Altho I haven't tried to start it in a couple of days)

I am wondering if its a start motor issue tho.

Welcome along enjoy their is a sprint day on the 13th at Curbourgh info in track days and meets or pm Mike CL10

Might pop up - depends on work! Cheers!

^ I also organise these sprints mate. Let me know if you're popping along or if you want a space on track! £60 for non stop track action and a barrel of laughs.

Car looks good but if you're getting H&R springs, bang on some cup dampers too, or save and get a good coilover setup.

I'll drop you a PM mate once I find out what hours I am on - its the 13th Tuesday?

I've had that exact same problem this week.

I trickle charged the battery over nights and its been fine ever since. (Altho I haven't tried to start it in a couple of days)

I am wondering if its a start motor issue tho.

My battery was tested by the RAC, came out as ''Good'' and they tried it whilst linked up like the pictures, Fuel Pump was priming - but I was getting no spark, however the immobilizer light wasn't going off so they think its an immobilizer problem.

Very nice looking motor mate, sorry about the starting issue and welcome to the forum.

Thanks mate, she is a beauty and its french...we expect these things to happen :wink: aha

Welcome mate.Little stunner you got there

Thank you mate!

My battery was coming up good as well. Maybe it just needed a disconnect...or maybe it was just coincidence.

They can be a pain these cars!

Strange! Saying that, it did cut out the night before (same problem) at the side of the road - RAC came and just put the battery pack on and it fired straight up.

This time though when connected to the van it wouldnt start, so not sure if the night before was a coincidence or if it is just the battery! - car is at the garage so can't even test the theory!

you need to press the start button and tug on the steering wheel, if you dont lock the steering wheel, the next time you start the car it will not start, had this loads of times.

Very nice mate. Were you in Cannock Chase on Wednesday? Spotted another owner just behind me as I turned off...

Also - Join the West Midlands group! Meet on Sunday if you're interested too. :smile:

Cheers guys!

I wasn't, unfortunately the car was being seen to by the local garage - she will hopefully be back on the road tomorrow; and a blast through the Chase is definitely on the cards!

Where is the meet on Sunday and what time? Im working in the morning.

Heya Mate

I am working until 2PM so I would imagine that you'll of all gone by then :worried:

I'll keep an eye on the West Mids section and try get to some meets!

I had an Auto Locksmith come out to me yesterday as it was originally diagnosed as an immobilizer problem by the garage, he spent around 2 hours plugging it into various computers and readers and he is has 99% diagnosed it as a UCH/Body Control Unit Fault as the immobilizer is turning itself off and the Keycards are coming back fine through his tester.

So its getting towed to Renault today and will be looked at tomorrow hopefully, not going to be a cheap job, but its a job that needs doing so she can get back on the road!

That's interesting.

Mines been perfectly fine ever since...so I'm wondering whether keeping the battery off has reset something rather than the battery itself.

Is that a new ecu basically?

From what I understand after talking to the Locksmith, the Body Control Unit is what is paired with the ECU and recognizes when the key is in the car along with other things.

He said its not cheap as Renault are really the only ones that can do it properly as it needs to be reprogrammed to match the cars current ECU :worried:

To be fair to the guy, he tried everything he could to get it working...plugged about 6 different readers in going through every single sensor one by one, checking all the relays and everything - so unfortunately its a dealer job :worried:

Similar Thread Suggestions