New and looking for a 197 in Yorkshire!

Hi guys,

My name is John and i live in Leeds. On the hunt for a decent 197 in the Leeds area if anyone knows of anything decent.

I went to look at my first one tonight which was nice. 58 plate, Nimbus Grey, non cup, 30k miles - £8400. Seems a tad steep personally, but nice car all the same.

Really want a Cup with the Recaros in but beggars can't always be choosers.

Anyway, nice to be here! Help me on my conquest to fine one!

Thanks,

John

Ive just bought a 197 mate. Waited out for the right one and so glad i did. Dont just settle for one because its all thats about and id HIGHLY recomend waiting for one with recaro's mate . If not you'll always regret not buying one with them and they dont come around often 2nd hand either if you was planning on fitting them, also when they do their silly money.

:welcome:John hope you find the right 197 out there they are great little motors

That does seem a bit too much. I am hoping to sell my cup very soon. Its an 08 cup with full RDSH, 36K on the clock and would be expecting around the 6k mark and my car is in outstanding condition. So i would say that is far too much.

Hi Chaps,

Thanks for the welcomes!

Yeah i must admit i'm desperate for one with Recaros. I like the standard seats but the Recaros are pretty special! Do many people buy runners and fit other seats to them?? Was just thinking the money saved you could buy some proper fibreglass FIA approved ones and have change. Just a thought...

This is supposed to be a sensible road toy though and i'm already planning mods. I have a track car you see so this is going to be my road baby. :smile:

How much should i expect to pay for the 70k/5 mile Cambelt job??

Thanks again,

John

:welcome: to the site dude!

My cambelt service is being in September this year and I have been quoted £550 ish for it!

is the cambelt due at a certain age or is it just 70k? its just that im going looking at an 07 plate but its only done 20k miles.

:welcome: to the site.

If you want recaros, keep looking for one with recaros. they are out there.

I looked at 14 before buying what i hope is the right one (only had it a month) but they are out there.

I have a seperate track day car too but waiting a while before i mess with this one. it's too good.

Hey John,
I just bought my 19k 08 197, full fat, nimbus, diamond cut alloys, xenons, 6 cd changer, climate control, rear tints, front smoke and exhaust tips for 8k. That one you went and saw ^ sounded very very steep! I don't have the Recaros, I haven't sat in one that has though so I don't know what I'm missing :tongueout:

Hi guys, thanks again for the replies!

What's the difference between full fat models and lightweight versions? Or are they all different depending on options etc?

Gearboxes supposedly bad for synchros pooping? I take it it's mainly on abused ones or is it a common fault?

Thanks again,

John

I'm not 100% sure of the differences but yeah the 197 and 197 cup both have:

- the same shell
- the same engine
- the same gearbox
- the same brakes
- they come without a spare wheel

The differences which I'm aware of are that the 197 cup has:

- lower + stiffer suspension
- AC as an option
- and the hands free key card + electric mirrors are removed

I've heard rumours from friends with the 197 cup that its faster to 60, but the acceleration and gearing specs from Renault Sport are identical. I haven't experienced gearbox problems, but when I was looking at the 197, I found a few members on here who have had some problems. At the end of the day, the 197 is a hot hatch and its owners drive it fast and hard. I looked for one with Renault Service History and like you said, abuse is what you want to look out for!

definitely wait to get what you want mate.

It's easy to get really excited and settle but don't be rash.

Before i got my Ultra red 200 renault enfield had a black 200 - standard - no cup chassis or recaros. I was 1 day from going in and putting down my deposit when the guy phoned me to say another branch had just sold it. I was so peed off at the time but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Instead they found me an Ultra red 200 full fat with cup chassis and recaros.

I think back now at how annoyed i'd have been with myself if id have bought the first car.

Always wait so you don't regret a purchase.

Thats my advice from my fortunate experience :smile:

RV