200: New Academy Position... Motorway MPG?

Probably a million threads on this, so I apologise, but I can't seem to find a solid answer.

I've managed to land myself a position in the NetBuilder Academy in Manchester. I live in Swansea and I will receive no income until the training, over 12 weeks, is complete. I work weekends: 7:45 - 6:15 which brings me an income of £600 a month.

So, as I'll be driving to Manchester and living up there purchasing food for myself (All accommodation and bills paid for), I need to know the best way to take to Manchester and the MPG averaging at 60MPH as money will be MEGA tight... I'll be traveling back to Swansea and back to Manchester once a week (so two trips either way).

I have two choices by the seems of it, to Manchester. My overall aim here is to reduce fuel consumption to the absolute minimum. It'll be a hard 12 weeks, but extremely rewarding once I complete it.

From Neath to Manchester Piccadilly:

Way 1: via A483 - 186 Miles - 4 Hours;
Way 2: via M6 - 215 Miles - 3 Hours and 39 Minutes.

Theoretically, the A483 is the shortest way, taking most of the A roads by the looks of it, the motorway being, well, the motorway.

What would be most beneficial to my economy? The less miles, but A Roads, or just cruise at 60mph on the motorway and do a couple of extra miles?

I know it seems scrimpy, but I honestly don't want to go broke up there and I'd rather overcompensate now, than later.

Train is not an option, they want 60 quid for a return and I feel they are not reliable enough to warrant being late for work.

Kaz, me and [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION] drove from Manchester to the Wales meet and obviously back again. On the way, we took the motorway and the A-roads on the way back. The A roads are huge fun, but you will use more fuel.

I would suggest the motorways if you want to maximise the economy. It is a boring drive, but it is the most economical. You can set the cruise control and just, well.....cruise :smiley:

Kaz, me and @Pav drove from Manchester to the Wales meet and obviously back again. On the way, we took the motorway and the A-roads on the way back. The A roads are huge fun, but you will use more fuel.

I would suggest the motorways if you want to maximise the economy. It is a boring drive, but it is the most economical. You can set the cruise control and just, well.....cruise :smiley:

I see. Do you think that your economy was less because you were hooning it or did you find it to be less anyway?

I see. Do you think that your economy was less because you were hooning it or did you find it to be less anyway?

We did hoon at little, but to be honest any road that has loads of bends, hills etc will use more fuel - on and off the brakes, gear changes, accelerating etc. On the motorway you are a set speed so in theory will get greater economy.

I drove from Leeds down to Cornwall last year and averaged 39/40mpg. That was 90% motorway driving at no more than 60. It bored me to tears, but I got great economy.

We did hoon at little, but to be honest any road that has loads of bends, hills etc will use more fuel - on and off the brakes, gear changes, accelerating etc. On the motorway you are a set speed so in theory will get greater economy.

I drove from Leeds down to Cornwall last year and averaged 39/40mpg. That was 90% motorway driving at no more than 60. It bored me to tears, but I got great economy.

I'm looking at about £25 one way to Manchester then. After working out all my finances, I have £38 to live on each week lmao! God damn, doing that for 12 weeks...

I'm looking at about £25 one way to Manchester then. After working out all my finances, I have £38 to live on each week lmao! God damn, doing that for 12 weeks...

Ouch! That is living on the breadline :smiley: 3 months is a fair old while to live on a small amount of money, but it's a means to an end I suppose, and once the training is done and you have your qualification, it will all seem worthwhile. Congrats on getting the position btw :smile:

welcome to rainy Manchester kaz..thats a long way to drive every week..would be better off going home lets say once in 2 weeks or so...media city round the corner from mine :thumbup:

welcome to rainy Manchester kaz..thats a long way to drive every week..would be better off going home lets say once in 2 weeks or so...media city round the corner from mine :thumbup:

I wish I could Pav. I work in Amazon Swansea over the weekends so I have no choice and the 200 is on finance. I've got a little bit of savings, but it's more for 'c0cking up' a monthly payment or something, not for spending willy nilly. I'm used to the rain anyway Pav, I live in Wales :wink:

Well, analysing it now, It's £35-37 every 5 days which doesn't seem all that bad to be honest. I can grab a bag of pasta, lots of tunas, eggs, some fruit, milk and what not. Shouldn't be too bad. The mother can cook me some food over the weekend so I'll get my vitamins :wink: haha!

I'm heading to the assessment in June but apparently that's just to gather your strengths and weaknesses so you can be trained appropriately, so I have no idea if I'm 100% in or not. I suppose I'll get the 100% answer after the Assessment. I look forward to it, new city, new places, new faces. I'm hopeful as it's a hell of a qualification to have once I complete it.

If I get a yes, I'll pick up some overtime before I head up for the training to give myself some more headroom. When I was living alone as a student, I was using about £15 a week eating crappy foods like pound chips and chicken nuggets lmao! It's not all bad, but I couldn't do it for the rest of my life.
[MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION] have you got an address or postcode for Media City? Need to work out the exact mileage.

Last edited:
It's surprising how well you can eat on a budget! I've had to do it in the past and there's a lot of ways you can stretch your money :smiley:

had a spare room till like a few weeks ago..had known that i could have saved it for you...no charge mate just a few pints my way :drunk:
what qualification is it??will you be like a superhero in business??

had a spare room till like a few weeks ago..had known that i could have saved it for you...no charge mate just a few pints my way :drunk:
what qualification is it??will you be like a superhero in business??

.NET Software Engineer or SQL depending on where they place me. Due to it being an Academy, they place you at your strongest points. They're offering the largest amount of money on completion of the course which is why I don't mind living on the breadline for a bit. Believe it or not, the biggest drive for this isn't the fact that I could get a home and whatnot, but because I can turbo the Clio after a year or so lmfao!

It's okay @Pav they're providing Accommodation and Utilities such as bills all paid for, I wouldn't be able to go otherwise. Thank you anyway :smile:

£30 sounds a fair bit of money when you put it in to perspective that all it's for is toilet paper and munchies. I've got some cockup money like I said, so no panic.

at least we can meet up sometimes..and if you are really hungry i have some goodies in my freezer,always :smiley:

Last edited:
What about public transport? Train / Coach?

Trains too unreliable and I'll need to get home a decent time after work on Friday to start on Saturday. Don't want to be rekt.

Sounds good [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION] I'll let you know if I come up for certain :smile: