Need a thiner wheel/tyre to fit Clio on my trailer

nicfred

Gold Member
I have now got a 197 for hopefully the Michelin series, i also have a Mazda MX5 race car which i have been racing up to now, anyway the trailer i have was obviously brought for the MX5 and the Clio wont fit, it is only about an inch out width wise, does anyone know if the space saver wheels will save me about an inch from the width of the wheels so i can chuck them on to put the car on the trailer and then fit the proper wheels when i arrive at the track?
Bit gutted cos was going to go to rockingham tomorrow but as it wont fit on the trialer i'm stuffed, i suppose i could drive it there but if anything went wrong i would be strandard, gutted
any help would be cool

Last edited:
I have a spare wheel. Do you want me to take some measurements?

if its no trouble that would be great.
Obviously if I can get the width of the wheels down by an inch it should go on my trailer so I can transport.
I know with the MX5 I did this for a few months then it got a bit of a pain changing wheels all the time so I got another trailer, ha ha, I'm just thinking that a couple of wheels is a lot cheaper than another trailer.

I'd just P/X the trailer in to be honest.

I wouldn't want to tow or drive behind a trailer that the car had had to be squeezed on to...

I'd just P/X the trailer in to be honest.

I wouldn't want to tow or drive behind a trailer that the car had had to be squeezed on to...

No, I'm not going to squeeze it on,with the MX5 the space saver wheel's are I think 115 instead of 195 so when 2 are fitted to one side it goes on a treat, so just wondered if the Clio space saver is a lot narrower and if so by how much,it might just work and a lot cheaper and easier than selling and finding another trailer

So you need to almost half the width of the wheels to get the car to fit, but that isn't a "squeeze"? Ok.

Another thought... The space saver is thinner, but not by much. It will also only be thinner on the inside and not the outside if that makes sense, due to the offset required by the brakes. I've tried to do an illustration below.

|---------------------------| <--- normal wheels
|__|.............................|__|

|---------------------------| <--- space savers
|_|................................|_|

^^^^^
What he said.

you could have paper thin tyres and it will make a few mm difference.

Are there other 5x108 space savers out there?

The latest focus RS is same, some volvos etc.

Caliper clearance will be the biggest problem.

Similar Thread Suggestions