My 'other' hobby

Is keeping reptiles / amphibians (mainly poison dart frogs, of which 1 species are now classed as 'Endangered' on the CITES index).

Took a few snaps of my Phyllobates Terribilis and their setup (I don't have a good 'eye' for a shot, so the compostion etc are ****!) :

6246239920_f2cc5cb07e_b.jpg
P.Terribilis 2 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

6245719947_739d3b8531_b.jpg
P.Terribilis 1 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

6245716183_86de0d32f7_b.jpg
p.Terribilis 3 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

And their vivarium (T5 High output lighting, Theromstat controlled heatpads strapped to the outside of the vivarium for temperature regulation with a pre-programmed day / night temperature drop, automated mistking system set to 2 x 30 second durations per day, internal fan for internal air circulation) :

Custom made background by myself, only 5 months since the rescape so the plants / moss are still growing in :

6245717705_6899ae7df4_b.jpg
P.Terribilis Vivarium by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

Last edited:
Any pics of the endangered ones? That is a cool hobby to have mate!

You could do well if the endangered ever breed! :wink:

If they were venomous, then I would be worried! :wink:

Just don't lick them and you will be fine... I think :huh:

Wow, they are cool, but as paul says I wouldn't lick them.... Isn't it the cane toad that you are ment to lick?

Cheers for the replies!

The Phyllobates Terribilis in the photos above are the endangered species. Also they are one of the most poisonous animals in the world - they contain enough poison to kill up to 20 humans, but thankfully their poison is generated through their diet in the wild. In captivity they are fed fruit flies plus other insects and are not poisonous.

This is another vivarium, when first setup, containing Ranitomeya Vanzolinii (called thumbnails, as they are about 15mm long fully grown) :

5491814204_c6ebf53b13_b.jpg
DSC_0023 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

5491823428_bfc8710259_b.png
DSC_0015 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

5491232867_45148ca252_b.png
DSC_0017 by DEAF N1NJA, on Flickr

All scaped and plated by myself :smile:

Nice frogs. Shots look awesome.

We've got a musk turtle setup and I've got a 300 litre tropical fish tank which I love.

I have 2 pairs (1 proven) of Leopard Geckos, also two male Australian Barking Geckos. I plan to set up a wall of PDF tanks in the future :smile:

Ahh ledge! When I next go back home i'll have to show my bro these pics, give him some inspiration for his tank lol, his is still only a few months old so is still in a small tank at the moment

Its the name of it that puts me off: Phyllobates Terribilis

OMG how TERRIBLE!!!! Looks awesome though!

I hate snakes with a passion, totally and utterly hate them. They scare the poo out of me!

They look brilliant. :smile:

I've always wanted a lizard, looked in to Geckos and Bearded Dragons but I'm waiting until the lil'un is a bit older. Never actually met anybody who keeps frogs, reminds me a bit of that sketch from The League Of Gentlemen. :smiley: Are they relativley easy to look after?

Those frogs are so cute! Brilliant hobby to have, you will have to let us know if you do get any eggs (is it not frogspawn then???)...

I am still debating getting a big tropical fish tank :huh:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V1P3i2 Spotted 0