My New Motor

Going to get the wheels done in anthracite. But we're going to wait a bit to get used to the car. It's bigger than the Clio and will take some getting used to. Not so much on the road, but in car parks. I will get used to it. It's going to be even worse for the missus, going from a Ka which has to be one of the smallest cars on the road to a mid sized hatch is going to take some time.

She's already kerbed the alloy in the car park trying to get out a space. Didn't shout or get angry though, there are a few marks on the wheels which is why we want to get the wheels done in the first place.

Oh and I'll get some pics of the interior up tomorrow if I get chance, bit dark now, although you would be able to see the ambient blue lighting which is quite cool!

And to add, there's a couple of thing missing of the Mazda which is surprising. There's no auto door lock when you drive off like the Clio and there's no guide you home lights, both of which I used and am going to miss.

After having the Mazda for 5 days we've already done nearly 500 miles in it. We're on holiday in Devon so have done some extra miles this week. It really is a great car. It feels more like a proper car than the Clio, much more comfortable and is very easy to drive. The power is so much more accessible and easy to obtain.

I used to think having 5 doors was crap, 3 door cars look better. But after having the 5 doors I am converted. Because the doors aren't as long at the front, getting out in parking spaces is much easier and unlike the Clio, you can close the door easily and it stays open on the 'notches' better too. The rear doors mean throwing your coat in the back is easy. I had my nan in the car yesterday and not having to flip the seat forward to let her in was so much better (I did offer the front seat up btw!)

Parking sensors are great, the auto cornering xenon's are great, especially as they come on when they're needed. Engine is sweet as a nut and proving to use about as much fuel as the Clio around the local roads. I can't really compare on the motorway until we head home tomorrow because I forgot to reset the trip on the way down here! But it's got cruise control, which is much smoother to use than that in the Clio. it's also got blind spot detection, a centre armrest, comfy part leather seats and an auto dimming mirror, so driving on the motorway is a much more relaxed affair.

Threw it round a few bends yesterday and it easily coped with anything, the brakes are good too. The ride is better than the Clio, as is the quality of everything. I had a rattle in the boot, which I traced to a missing patch of felt on the parcel shelf. After all the car is 2 years old, so I expect a few things. I replaced it with some sticky backed felt usually used for under chair legs. Worked a treat.

So far is the ideal upgrade from the Clio.

Last edited:
sounds like a dream! never thought of these and you dont see many around either. Looks like a worthwhile upgrade!

Did you throw your gran round the corners aswell mate
Do you miss the fun factor though???

At the moment I'm not missing the Clio. It's good in the corners, I would say plenty of fun for the times I need it. My missus was driving with my nan in the back, so no Roy! Lol! Haven't seen another mps since getting mine. There's a sport down the road from where we're staying on this caravan site.

Last edited:
34.4 MPG on the way home up the M5, including driving round the car park at Cribbs Causway for 10 mins trying to find an appropriate parking space. Not bad considering it's a 2.3l with a big blower! Lol! Was doing mostly 72/74 mph with the occasional drop/increase in speed. I used to get roughly the same from the Clio. Maybe a bit less.

Got some pictures of the interior as requested.

DSCF2851.jpg

DSCF2850.jpg

DSCF2854.jpg

DSCF2853.jpg

DSCF2852.jpg

Nice metal pedals like in the Clio, but the footrest was already there!

DSCF2856.jpg

Last edited:
Dash looks ok mate but not sure on the seats would have to see them in the flesh before I could make my mind up

I do like the MPS in white, I got one a couple of weeks ago in Aluminium and very impressed with it considering the price.

Do you know how to load the phonebook if its possible?

Interior looks really smart mate.

Interestingly a friend of mine bought one of these a while back and had it for about 6 months I think and he said it was a good car too. You can get a lot of power out of these it seems from a simple remap as Litchy said too.

That friend does now drive a RB 182 on h&r coilovers though!

Interior looks really smart mate.

Interestingly a friend of mine bought one of these a while back and had it for about 6 months I think and he said it was a good car too. You can get a lot of power out of these it seems from a simple remap as Litchy said too.

That friend does now drive a RB 182 on h&r coilovers though!

Thanks Dan. How come your mate got rid?

remap 290-295BHP and 455-460Nm torque from Stage 1 Stock car.

There's quite a few of the members on MPSOC.com that have a hypertec fitted to there mps's. The manufacturer's website say a power increase of 68hp, taking it to 328hp! That's ridiculous! Mine will be staying standard!

Yes, it is bigger than the Clio and doesn't feel as 'chuckable' as a result. But that suits me now. It was great on holiday, plenty of room.

A few changes, got a K & N panel filter on it, but I haven't really noticed any difference since changing it.

Got the exhaust tips changed, but wish I'd gone bigger now, they're roughly the same size as the originals, but the main reason I changed them was that the original exhaust just had tips welded on to it and they looked a bit 'Halfords' to me. They were easily seen as being tacked on.

New ones:

DSC_2809.jpg

DSC_2813.jpg

Just bought a boot mat to keep the carpet clean when the dog is in the car.

DSC_3014.jpg

I've changed the front side lights and the number plate lights for LEDs, the front side lights just looked daft, they were normal yellow bulbs, but against the xenon's didn't look right (no pics)!