My new car!

Awesome. I saw a video of these electric cars doing a practice grid start. It was quite comical because of the noise but I bet they are quick.

Many years ago I worked for Frazer Nash, at the time they were developing a brushless DC electric motor for use in electric vehicles. The test bed was a race kart. With 96 volts and 98% efficiency these karts were seriously quick. We put one against a 250 gearbox kart and left it for dead......

For 3 laps then it started dying. Lol

Great fun though as all the power was instantly there the moment you stabbed the quiet pedal.

Very nice.. Thought you'd have been a silverstone this week. I've been there all week and going back sunday :thumbdown:

When does your season start? Is it September?

What are these cars like to work on Jim? Most of the chassis, suspension set up and braking is obviously familiar to you but as the drive train is new to motorsport I'd imagine you are finding new issues daily.

Are the electric motors all sealed or can you service everything yourselves. I know we all laugh at the noise but this series is a massive innovation in motorsport and probably the future.

Last edited:
Yeh the chassis etc is all very formula 3 so that's easy. The motor at the moment is a sealed unit, serviced by McLaren. The same for the battery that's sealed and serviced by Williams.

I think we'll be producing our own motors over the next year, but at the moment the rules are that you have to use the standard unit.

Running the car is ok, it takes 15 mins to cool down to a temperature at which it will charge, and then around 45 mins to reach 100% depending on the state of charge at the end of the run.

Means loads of time for tea!! Until each driver has two cars, then it'll be just like normal testing, which is limited by tyres!!