my engine has given up :( broke down on m40

think my engine is screwed. I accelerated hard in second and third gear coming out of the services and 30 seconds later i got a warning saying check ignition. It then cut out and now it won't strt.

im currently waiting for renault assist to pick me up on m40 :worried:

anyone know what may be up?

i had similiar once - will it not start again at all?

mine turned out to be faulty throttle body

hopefully its not too bad

Last edited:
As long as it didnt go bang think you will be fine!
Not sure what the prob is tho. Hope u get it sorted.

sounds like throttle body or could be coils? did it make any noise when it cut out?

as Mike said, if there wasnt any bangs or clunks then it will probably be fine. Just electrical I'd say of the info you'd given

Just a quick update. It took a bit of time as I was in london for the week with no internet connection :worried:

Right i broke down because of a faulty cambelt pulley. Cambelt came off and then caused engine damage :worried:

Good news is my car is wilsons renault in epsom (london) and is due to recieve a brand new engine on warrenty (lucky as I only had 4 weeks of warrenty left!).
Bad news is im without a car for two weeks and i have to travel from my home in Cheshire to epsom, london, to pick it up :worried: lol

Pretty annoyed about it tbh as the car had only done 23k should not have had a cambelt issue. But top marks to renault as had no probs with them at all about getting new engine etc

Ya not bad. Would a new engine mean a new 200 engine?? :smile:

Prob not i'd imagine, but i don't know?? I have the old gear ratio's etc so im assuming it will be the standard 197 engine.

No it wont be a 200 engine. Ive just had a new one in mine, it will be a 197 engine. I reckon u will wait more than 2 weeks. Took 2 weeks for mine to come from france then however long it takes to fit. Be prepared for a bit of a wait me thinks matey.

No it wont be a 200 engine. Ive just had a new one in mine, it will be a 197 engine. I reckon u will wait more than 2 weeks. Took 2 weeks for mine to come from france then however long it takes to fit. Be prepared for a bit of a wait me thinks matey.

Thanks for the warning mate.

In the mean time im back on my shi**y lil 125cc bike lol. id forgotten how bad it is

that sucks mate, at least theyre fixing it for you though!

why dont you have a courtesy car? its renaults fault the car needs a new engine so they should offer a courtesy car surely?

that sucks mate, at least theyre fixing it for you though!

why dont you have a courtesy car? its renaults fault the car needs a new engine so they should offer a courtesy car surely?

I was in london and had no means to get there cos Epsom renault aint near a train station. Could not ask for one whilst I was there cos my car was dropped off by the AA on bank holiday monday at midnight :worried: lol it was a long day.

Im not sure how im going to pick up my car, as I need a car to get down there really as I hate using trains and taxi's etc would rather drive. Might ring renault UK and see if they can arrange a hire car or something... worth a go

Same here ,Dephaser pully on inlet cam failed at 13k new engine fitted,just run in ,bad news is they won't w'tee the new engines beond the 3 yr w'tee .So make sure you take out the extended Renault w'tee (1 or 2 Year)
From what I was told the 197 and 200 engines are the same .

Last edited:
Same here ,Dephaser pully on inlet cam failed at 13k new engine fitted,just run in ,bad news is they won't w'tee the new engines beond the 3 yr w'tee .So make sure you take out the extended Renault w'tee (1 or 2 Year)
From what I was told the 197 and 200 engines are the same .

Are they the same? is the 200 just a different computer ecu map and different gearing?
And yes be be worth the extra warrenty me thinks. thanks :smile: