My eco clio,

c197mark

Renault Parts Advisor
Platinum Member
Right some of you may have seen my thread saying that im going to have to get rid of my clio, hopefully now i shouldnt have to :biggrin: ,
i filled my clio up 2 weeks ago to the brim with tesco super unleaded which cost around £60 and have since then been on a eco run ive been keeping the revs down and looking at my journeys to and from work and making sure im driving roads where im not stopping and starting all the time and i must say it has been really good,
i usually get out of a full tank 280 maybe 300 miles, but so far with qtr of a tank left i have done 386miles :drool: im shocked, ive had the odd bit of full throttle action but mostly been trying to keep it calm lol,
i tell you what tho its sooooo hard driving eco than it is driving hard all the time which i usually do lol especially when you have a fiesta st sitting up your chuff egging you on and all you want to do is bury your foot in the carpet and leave it for dead lol
So from now on im going to try and eco drive to and from work and use the weekends for my usuall driving and hopefully i can keep my car, which would make me a very happy man as i have lots of plans for my car and was hopeing i can get them done,

lol good man. I try this occasionally. But its sooo hard, its a car thats constantly whispering to you 'please thrash me' and its always so eager, never known a car like it lol!! I'd rather go slow and keep it than sell it.

great stuff mark, i was upset wen u said ures was going. will u order me a sunglass holder please?

have you thought of getting a second car to keep costs down? im now running a 1.3 toyota in the week it costs me about £40 a week in petrol and i do about 500 miles lol

thats good mileage out a tank but i personally couldnt drive like that. Cars are to be driven and driven properly :wink:

thats good mileage out a tank but i personally couldnt drive like that. Cars are to be driven and driven properly :wink:

yea my point exactly thats why ill be doing the eco driving during the week and having fun at the weekends driving the way it should be driven that way i get to keep it and still have fun in it :biggrin:

i tried to drive mine like a granny. . . . . . managed a full tank of granny driving then had to just boot her to make it up to her lol.

great stuff mark, i was upset wen u said ures was going. will u order me a sunglass holder please?

yea was really gutted when me and the wife were talking about it, but hopefully this way ill be able to keep it and do the stuff i want, yea i can order you a sunlass holder no probs,
oh and to answer you question about gettin another car we looked it 2 it but we havent got the extra money for insurance etc for a third car not with the wifes focus st and my clio and my R6 we would be paying a fortune every month, im just going 2 use me bike more when i can and drive the clio sensible to and from work should be ok then

lol good man. I try this occasionally. But its sooo hard, its a car thats constantly whispering to you 'please thrash me' and its always so eager, never known a car like it lol!! I'd rather go slow and keep it than sell it.

i know what you mean mate ive had 1 or 2 moments when ive dumped me foot down and ive still managed the milage thats its done so its not all granny driving lol

yea was really gutted when me and the wife were talking about it, but hopefully this way ill be able to keep it and do the stuff i want, yea i can order you a sunlass holder no probs,
oh and to answer you question about gettin another car we looked it 2 it but we havent got the extra money for insurance etc for a third car not with the wifes focus st and my clio and my R6 we would be paying a fortune every month, im just going 2 use me bike more when i can and drive the clio sensible to and from work should be ok then

Well with 3 cars u must have plenty of dosh to keep her :wink:

I actually laughed at this for some time! Ha ha!

That's good going Mark, I must say - well done! I don't get many mpg out of mine, but I don't use it to go to work, so I drive mine how I want when I do drive it and it doesn't really cost me a lot. I do less that 100 miles a week on an average week. Sometimes my car will sit for 3 days not even been unlocked!

Extra cars do make sense if you get something cheap to run, but with your bike as well, I think it might be a bit excessive.

Keep the computer on either range or MPG, and try to use cruise whenever possible, makes it easier to keep to speed limits, etc.

I didn't realise these engines were that bad on juice. I asked my cousin who used to have a 172 and he reckoned even hammering it he would get 30-40mpg out of it and before anyone says he wasn't hammering trust me he was. He sold it in the end because it was a car that egged you on to drive it like you stole it.

I thought they were the same engine but fettled a bit more.

The mpg readout on the trip is absolute bs. After covering about 500 - 600 miles on an eco run it came back as 37mpg. I got sick to death of driving everywhere at 2000 rpm though so i spanked it and its gone back to down about 28. However no amount of easy going driving brings it back up. I know its an average but i literally must have driven it hard for no more than 30 miles before seeing if i could raise it back up.

keep it up! I did go for an 800 miles round trip with my gf and our dog in the boot, tried to keep him from getting deaf or cooked from the exhaust heat, kept it easy at 60 65, went 70 maybe a couple miles, covered the whole trip on two full tanks, wasnt easy, but was quiet and comfy for a 197 as never before :wink: went the same route last year and that cost me an extra gastank... so pretty good savings, went out for a good dinner when we arrived :smile:

The mpg readout on the trip is absolute bs.

That is a bit unfair, I reset mine every fill up, make a note of the computer reading, and compare with the actual fuel economy; over the past 2,000 miles it is generally around 10% pessimistic, which I don't think it bad at all.