Mtec C-Hook Discs

matt9566

Paid Member
Just a quick question, my service is due in a couple of months so going to replace discs and pads at the same time.
Just had a look on the Mtec site and seen the new C-Hook design ones, does anyone have any info on these ? Will they be better than the alternatives ?
Which design ones do people recommend ?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Just a copy of AP J-hooks. Personally having got J-hooks now I wouldn't use them again, noisy - and not a nice noise either.

Stick to 6-8 grooves, many more and all you do is lose surface area. And avoid drilled like the plague.

Just a copy of AP J-hooks. Personally having got J-hooks now I wouldn't use them again, noisy - and not a nice noise either.

Stick to 6-8 grooves, many more and all you do is lose surface area. And avoid drilled like the plague.

Why? What is wrong with drilled discs? Just curious as I have only recently had some drilled discs delivered from Mtec

I got rear MTEC discs but went with just plain style, having them fitted tomorrow. Was thinking about drilled style to start with as grooved are a bit noisey i've heard

I have drilled and grooved MTEC discs on the front. Had them on over a year and no issues so far (touch wood).

Noise-wise, under medium to heavy braking there is a humming type of noise, but I like it, I think it sounds good - each to their own. It's not an unpleasant sound though and under 'normal' braking they're noiseless like plain discs.

If all you do is drive on the road and maybe faggot about a bit on track then drilled will probably serve you fine, but anyone doing anything serious on track won't use drilled. They are fatigue points and the extreme hot cycles from hard use will crack them.

The reviews are so funny. Mine are mtec drilled & grooved. Literally make no sound like my old standard brembo discs and performance is much better. I think where people go wrong is they use really harsh pads. M tec discs with standard brembo pads are working a treat for me.

If all you do is drive on the road and maybe faggot about a bit on track then drilled will probably serve you fine, but anyone doing anything serious on track won't use drilled. They are fatigue points and the extreme hot cycles from hard use will crack them.

How do manufacturers of high performance cars get away with it? I mean you see loads of porsches, ferraris etc with them? Not being a smartarse or anything, just curious.

How do manufacturers of high performance cars get away with it? I mean you see loads of porsches, ferraris etc with them? Not being a smartarse or anything, just curious.

Because most drive like miss daisy ��

Most drilled disks when used hard on track will show stress fractures eminating from the holes, I would say most are harmless - it just looks bad. I've seen surface cracks on grooved disks also. I guess quality of iron used will make a big difference

If it was me I'd keep it simple and stay with grooved

Last edited:
Yep like Paul says - they are built for show not go to be blunt.

Look at the last gen of cars before ceramic brakes, most of the time drilled on the road cars, grooved on the race - GT3's, 360's etc all followed this form. Sure some smart arse can probably pick a few examples that use drilled on a race, but it will be short sprint use and the rotors will be replaced very frequently, if not every event.

MTEC Drilled + Brembo pads for me.. Road use only, plenty of bite, its all the braking performance you'll ever need on the road to be honest

Got my rear MTEC plain discs fitted today.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Photo 30-01-2016, 11 59 12.jpg
    Photo 30-01-2016, 11 59 12.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 249

Because on expensive 'drilled' discs the holes are cast into the disc when it's made (so not really drilled at all), and not drilled afterwards.

Sorry to revive the tread but ive been thinking about these disks, in regards to dimpled disks, are they the same sort of theory, to avoid them as well?

Sorry to revive the tread but ive been thinking about these disks, in regards to dimpled disks, are they the same sort of theory, to avoid them as well?

Dimpled shouldn't crack as the hole isn't all the way through. Tbh unless you're doing serious track work where the discs and pads are getting up to crazy temperatures, I can't see the drilled having any issues anyway.... Certainly no issues with my own MTEC front/rear drilled discs - although it hasn't been on track

As above, I've also had no issues with my drilled front discs in ~8-9k miles. No track time, but a fair few blasts on b-roads etc. If they were potentially that bad then surely they wouldn't make them??

Dimpled shouldn't crack as the hole isn't all the way through. Tbh unless you're doing serious track work where the discs and pads are getting up to crazy temperatures, I can't see the drilled having any issues anyway.... Certainly no issues with my own MTEC front/rear drilled discs - although it hasn't been on track

TBH i cant see me going on the track with mine .. if someone hit me .. id lose my cool haha! And i cant afford for it to blow up :rain:

As above, I've also had no issues with my drilled front discs in ~8-9k miles. No track time, but a fair few blasts on b-roads etc. If they were potentially that bad then surely they wouldn't make them??

You would think that if they were that bad they would stop but look at EBC pads - Like marmite - Some people rate, some people hate.