Metallic grinding noise while turning right

Morning chaps,

I have got a metallic grinding noise when I am turning right and about 3-4k RPM. When you are going under 5mph one of the wheels seems to be squeaking as well...

I have had this noise before but it was the gear box (was like it when I purchased from the dealer) This was the explanation from the guy who changed it at the dealers:

Hard to explain really! Its not the typical noise we get from them, normally the synchro's **** up lol.. But with yours its more related to the Dif area.. Obv after corning it stabilises and during that process your noise appears, sometimes its really bad.. It does do it when going along aswell but its not as noisy and noticable.

I have since had this gear box replaced after the fatal crunching in April of this year which Renault contributed 90% towards.
After searches around the internet I have come to the following conclusions and what my options are:

1) Check the break pads / calipers on the front in case of rubbing or seized pads. I am going to check this at the weekend as I have new pad and pins for the front anyway and need a service.

2) Wheel bearings have gone which would mean a new hub?

3) Gear box has gone again in which case its back to Renault and gear box number 4...

Has anybody got any opinions on what it could be? I will see if i can get a recording of the noise.

Cheers

Last edited:
Gearbox number 4?!? Holy.. Have they not pinned down the fault and what causes them to give yet? Surely there is an underlying fault with another component causing excess stress on the box?
Doing a quick forum search have you checked that all the wheel bolts are tightened correctly? Could be track rods or potentially the hub. I'd take it to an independent to look at unless of course you're still under warranty in which case I'd be driving to Renault at lunch time!

I have exactly the same problem and was told Monday that it was due to play I had on the ball joint meaning I needed a new hub which is going to cost £180+VAT. I have read on here somewhere a way around having to replace the whole hub though I believe?

Check the brake discs, My front left disc was scored on the inside and made a strange noise when turning left.

Had my drivers side ball joint replaced as mine was making this kind of noise.

hope it's not your gearbox again

I have exactly the same problem and was told Monday that it was due to play I had on the ball joint meaning I needed a new hub which is going to cost £180+VAT. I have read on here somewhere a way around having to replace the whole hub though I believe?

I have he same problen cost ne 20 quid fron pocal parts store its a pressure dittin u need it pressed out and in... looked to doin it myself but i didnt have the resources

Just an update, got the car back today from Renault, in which the gearbox has been replaced. The noise is still there... Will be taking it elsewhere for this I think