Manifold to cat clamp?

Just wondering if anyone can help. Decided to go back to my standard exhaust after having enough of the endless drone of my Scorpion during the motorway miles. No matter what I do I can't seem to get a really good seal between the cat and the manifold, thought it might be the old clamp so bought a new one from Renault but there still seems to be a slight blowing on the join. I don't think the clamp is a great design as no matter how much you tighten it there is always about a 10-15mm gap that the clamp does not cover.

Does anyone know if there is a better clamp available or have any ideas how I can get a better seal?

Cheers

make sure the pipes are in line and square to each other

use a non hardening exhaust sealing paste on the mating faces before you put them together - also use some sealing paste on the inside of the clamping ring...

make sure you have no blows if you do it will fail lamda on the emissions mot test

make sure the pipes are in line and square to each other

use a non hardening exhaust sealing paste on the mating faces before you put them together - also use some sealing paste on the inside of the clamping ring...

make sure you have no blows if you do it will fail lamda on the emissions mot test

Cheers for that, do you know a make that is non hardening as that is all I seem to see on the shelves. Would silicone work?

Cheers

i think locktite or hylomar do a sort of non hardening type sealer..

alos look at the assembly pastes there are out there

if you use the holts stuff it drys rock hard and usually ends up breaking off and leaking

Failing that a local exhaust place will probably reseal it for you for a few quid, probably cheaper and easier that doing it yourself!

Thanks for your advice. Got some gas paste in the garage from kitchen fitting days, will give that a try while its still on stands. Failing that will get the local exhaust place to do it.

Cheers

Thanks for your advice. Got some gas paste in the garage from kitchen fitting days, will give that a try while its still on stands. Failing that will get the local exhaust place to do it.

Cheers

Let us know how you get on. Had mine on axle stands checking the exhaust today as I have an annoying resonating rattle at 3k rpm. I managed to nip the clamp up by a thread and a half as there was movement between this joint. Fingers crossed it has sorted it but I have traced another slight blow on the sleeve section after my decat to the first silencer. The original sleeve and two clamps on this joint have completely rusted and corroded so I will need to replace this.

Let us know how you get on. Had mine on axle stands checking the exhaust today as I have an annoying resonating rattle at 3k rpm. I managed to nip the clamp up by a thread and a half as there was movement between this joint. Fingers crossed it has sorted it but I have traced another slight blow on the sleeve section after my decat to the first silencer. The original sleeve and two clamps on this joint have completely rusted and corroded so I will need to replace this.

The nip up of the clamp seems to have cured my resonating but also introduced a deeper note which I think is down to the cat replacement pipe blowing at either end somewhere. I have ordered both the clamp and the sleeve for both ends of the cat replacement pipe. My local garage who i have used for years is going to remove pipe and replace both clamps to hopefully cure any blowing along with replace my gearbox fluid. Fingers crossed it will be a successful morning!