Lower ball joint replacement DIY

Just to add to avoid confusion, these are the swivel hub upper and lower joints (upper is pressed in I presume and has a circlip, the lower is pressed in and is friction fit), the ball joint as most would call it screws into the bottom arm and is still a pig to undo
Yes, the wishbone ball joint is #2 in this picture.

60908a774d08b6ffde7ec7af86de2062.jpg

Reactions: Dumdum
I worked out a way of replacing the Lower arm ball joint used 1/2 " impact gun high powered MAP gas torch and modified ball joint socket and 35mm socket to drive the ball joint socket. I must speak to Raptor he does machining he should sell them with the ball joints it would help him sell ball joints and for us to have the tool to do the job. The nut can be put onto the ball joint socket to keep it pushed down to stop slip of the teeth, Heat the back of the neck until at the arm gets hot enough to feel uncomfortable at the open triangle with your bare hand. Then hit it with the impact gun and socket and it will undo with a fresh charged battery straight from the charger I tried with the part cold and it did not move with the same gun so heat necessary for easy removal.
upload_2019-3-17_23-5-11.png
upload_2019-3-17_23-12-57.png
upload_2019-3-17_23-14-0.png
upload_2019-3-17_23-14-58.png

Hi,

Turkie172, can you tell me which ball joint socket did you use and modify?

Is it a Laser Tool one? Do you remember the reference code? Is it the #7332?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help. I bought a ball joint to change the one of my lower arm, but difficult to find the suitable tool to remove it...

Joe

To have success first time you will need 3 tools the ball joint socket which is a modified standard one that was put in a lathe and the internal diameter increased and on the inside and the teeth, then the teeth then filed narrower equal on both sides so they are still centered and then the 35mm socket to turn the ball joint socket which I used an impact gun and along with that a good quality "MAP" blow torch to heat the casting so the ball joint was easier turned. The initial tool was a Peugeot 405 lower ball joint tool I used the Sealey one for price and published dimensions the nut can be put on to push the ball joint socket down onto the ball joint and greatly reduce the chance of slipping and causing the teeth to be damaged if this is not done, the job becomes a very expensive mess with hammers and welders. Why not join the forum it cost £5 and show some support and thanks if anyone shows interest I could make some small batches that will work with raptors ball joints as they would be the only ones I personally would buy and have used besides the genuine RenaultSport ones that at the time he could also supply. There was a video

Reactions: Foxspeed