Looking to buy a 197

hi people sorry if this is the wrong section. Had a good look through the buyers guide and its been very helpful.

is there anything i need to look out for or totally aviod on the earlier 197s?

looking at 06/56 reg with around 50k with the cambelt changed is there anything else?

thanks and sorry if i posted this in the wrong section :glare:

:welcome:mate no your ok to post in here as your new
One of the things with early 197s is gearbox troubles

Welcome!!! :smile:

Firstly, great choice of potential new car, you won't be dissapointed.

Sceondly, the steering wheels wear badly (Renault will meet you halfway at least on the cost of a repair though), some suffer from crunchy gearboxes (all of them do it when cold, but some have it when warm which is a sign of impending death). The rear brakes will seize on if you park with the handbrake on and there's any sniff of rain... The front seats wear a bit, the Recaros (if spec'd) wear a lot.

Thirdly, ignore the minor down points, every car has them. It's the best car you'll get for the money. :thumbup:

:welcome: to the site. Same as Roy, gearbox issues are well known in the 197. I'm changing the gearbox oil in mine to try and relieve it.

Welcome to the club

At least your choosing the better looking of the mk3 models!! Awaiting the usual 200 owner abuse

Thanks alot for all the advise people :smile:

will need to get out and start test driving, went to view 1 today loved everything about it just shame the price was slightly to high and wouldnt budge! cant wait to get my hands on 1 now then

welcome to the site mate! as willis says gearbox, rear brakes have slight desing flaws!!

also kangaroo's when cold if you jump in and drive staright off in it,

which i dont recommend..it can be resolved with a remap,

it doesnt come with rear speakers so you know