Looking to buy a 197 again..........

I did come on this forum around Xmas time, talking about the lack of urgency when driving a 197. Long story short I bought a Corsa VXR as it felt a lot better to drive. Problem was it got pinched and the stigma that came with the car was too much for me so now I'm looking at the 197 again.

Does an exhaust and map make that much difference to the feel of the car? Any tips or things to look out for that's not in the write up on here?

Long story short I bought a Corsa VXR as it felt a lot better to drive.?

In what way did it feel better to drive? I was under the impression that they weren't quite as fast in a straight line and that they don't handle/brake anywhere near as well as the Clio.

Having not driven a VXR I cannot comment, but in many of the comparrisons i've read the 197 comes out on top and i'm interested in finding out why that wasn't the case for you.

people say stuff like this quite quickly once theyve driven a turbo. just the sense of tourque is probably the only pro on a vxr that i can see.

I felt like a tit when I was driving one the other week.

Saying that, it is indeed more urgent in a straight line but certainly doesn't handle quite like the Clio. I'm not one for loud exhausts on a hot hatch, nor has my car been remapped so I can't comment on that...

The VXRs steering felt a lot better, better built and lots of torque. It had the 18" wheels and lowered 30mm. Handled really well it felt like my Williams 2.
My plan is to have a fun daily like the 197 while I fix up the Williams and use the skyline for weekend fun. I'd use the skyline every day but the fuel bill is horrendous. Plus I want a newer car. I've found a really clean looking 197 at an ok price. He says its 210bhp with remap and miltek cat bypass and catback.

The VXRs steering felt a lot better, better built and lots of torque. It had the 18" wheels and lowered 30mm. Handled really well it felt like my Williams 2.
My plan is to have a fun daily like the 197 while I fix up the Williams and use the skyline for weekend fun. I'd use the skyline every day but the fuel bill is horrendous. Plus I want a newer car. I've found a really clean looking 197 at an ok price. He says its 210bhp with remap and miltek cat bypass and catback.

210 with a remap and exhaust - wish full thinking

I would take that figure with a pinch of salt, as long as the car feels good and your happy that's all that matters!

I prefer the front end of the 197 with the black insets over the 200. Here is the item number on gaybay at the car I'm liking the look of 300933479841

tell me what you think.

I prefer the front end of the 197 with the black insets over the 200.

That's fair enough but you know they changed more than the looks between the 197 and 200. Overall the 200 is the faster and more polished car (with a cup equipped 200 being the most focused of them all). Drive both, you'll see (or feel) the difference.

That's fair enough but you know they changed more than the looks between the 197 and 200. Overall the 200 is the faster and more polished car (with a cup equipped 200 being the most focused of them all). Drive both, you'll see (or feel) the difference.

True, it's not just a face lift.

People under-rate the corsa vxr tbh.

My brothers had one for the last 6 years since new, on the 18's with some sticky tyres, they handle very well given the right driver, personally I didn't like the driving position, and found I couldn't drive it fast, but my brother loves the driving position. So it's just each to their own on that aspect.

It was on Bilstein suspension, and it handles like it was on rails, true fact.

Easy tuning potentials, his is currently at 240hp. For a 1.6, the turbo makes a lovely sound with that sort of boost :smile:

full miltek race system also sounds the nuts.

interior is better than the Clio's and the Recaros come standard, and don't wear like the Clio's

Thst aside, I wanted a more drivers car, seating position etc, and I fell in love with the Clio for that reason.

I had a corsa Vxr arctic for my last car, only had it for a month before the head gasket went so I took it back. To be totally honest I preferred the corsa but was put off due to reliability and the fact that piston 4 turns to chocolate when mapped.

Straight line the corsa laughs at the Clio, but in the bends its a different ball game, Clio is far superior.

At the end of the day IMHO it comes down to whether you want a traffic light straight line racer or an cornering guru :smile:

My 2p as I've owned both haha

The chocolate piston isn't a myth either, but what I will say, it's not as 'chocolaty' as people may find.

my brothers has been that Hp for 3+ years, only the last few months it's failed, resulted in steel rods and forged pistons for an upgrade.

People under-rate the corsa vxr tbh.

My brothers had one for the last 6 years since new, on the 18's with some sticky tyres, they handle very well given the right driver, personally I didn't like the driving position, and found I couldn't drive it fast, but my brother loves the driving position. So it's just each to their own on that aspect.

It was on Bilstein suspension, and it handles like it was on rails, true fact.

yes but thats got aftermarket suspension to make it handle like its on rails which defeats the point. I did look at buying as another option to my clio but i thought the vxr was alot more boy racerish and didnt look as smart as the clio. also herd the engine had alot of problems, and well i just like the sound of a 2 litre :smiley:

It's well known that p4 throws its toys out of the pram when it gets mapped, not quite sure why though.

P4 goes on the Corsa VXR due to the very poor manifold design. The turbo hangs off P3 so it has P1 and P2 pushing the gasses back in P4. I've researched this myself. The more I look at the 197 with the black lights in the metallic blue I'm just ooh yeh that's a nice looking Clio.

Whats a realistic mpg I can get from them? 35?