Looking at a car tomorrow

Hello, I'm going to look at a 200 tomorrow, but to me in the pictures the car looks significantly lower than the other cars, I mean this doesn't bother me because IMO it looks better, but is there anything faults I should look out for as I'm not very mechanically minded, any help appreciated

My mate is selling his 200 very nice car 11 plate with 31k on clock message me if your interested. As for faults gearbox crunch suspension knocking patchy history worn clutch and if miles are up check cambelt service

I'll get back to you if I don't end up buying this one mate, and ok thanks for your help, its done 35k so I mean it should be in half decent condition atleast... I'm hoping

no worries hope it's a good one for you.Ask to start car from cold and check for crunching into gears I would expect it to have had cambelt done on an 09 or 10 plate also quite expensive at around 600 quid.

Ok, just change the gears with the car at standstill yeah? and if theres crunching its a no go basically? and yeah I'll ask about the cambelt and service history etc as its not been mentioned on the ad!! :blush:hmy::blush:hmy:

The forum buyers guide as linked by Pav is very useful indeed and tells you a lot of good information on these cars. As with any car, make sure it has a full service history - these cars are built to be driven enthusiastically, but it is important that they're serviced on time. Best of luck :smile:

I've just messaged the seller does it have service history and the response I got was "I know it has a load of receipts with it not to sure exactly what it has it drivers lovely though really nice car"

All sounds a bit suspect to me, not sure what to do lol

Go and see it and make your own mind up. You can tell a lot about a car and how its (likely) to have been treated from its owner.

Be prepared to walk away though.

Well I wouldn't judge until you get there and actually see the car, but it is a very vague answer from the guy! Is it a private sale? If it is, surely - as the owner of it - he would know that it has history or not!!

If you aren't sure when you get there, walk away :smile: there are too many good examples out there to buy one that you aren't 100% sure of.

EDIT montana beat me to it!

Go and see it and make your own mind up. You can tell a lot about a car and how its (likely) to have been treated from its owner.

Be prepared to walk away though.
not easy when you dont know what to expect..i went from my 1.2 clio to this..i was over the moon as i didnt know a thing about these cars...but the time will show whether you made a right decision...
check the buyers guide...lots of useful info there

He's a dealer and its just gone on the internet today, he seems to think its a very clean car so I think I'll have to go take a look and see for myself, and ofcourse ask about its history, I mean whats the worst case scenario if it hasnt been serviced, its done 35k, what would need doing exactly, would it be too late to rectify any issues or?

If its from a dealer Nd your parting with your hard earned cash it will have a warranty.If in doubt walk away plenty more out there where is and have you got a link.

He's a dealer and its just gone on the internet today, he seems to think its a very clean car so I think I'll have to go take a look and see for myself, and ofcourse ask about its history, I mean whats the worst case scenario if it hasnt been serviced, its done 35k, what would need doing exactly, would it be too late to rectify any issues or?

You would hope that it has been serviced at some point in 35k miles. As I said, these cars need to be maintained regularly (as with any car tbh). Just the basic stuff like oil and filter changes are essential. In an ideal world, you'd want stamps in the book and invoices to confirm what work has been done/what parts have been fitted.

With no history you have no idea what work a car has or hasn't had done.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...model/clio/make/renault/radius/1501?logcode=p

That's the link for the car, I've decided if it hasn't got service history I ain't going to bother, I'll ring him first thing tomorrow morning before I set off, plenty more fish in the sea I'm sure something will pop up

It looks decent enough , but has definitely been lowered. No mention of history in the ad, which always sets alarm bells ringing for me... I'm cynical though!

I think that's your best bet. Go in with an open mind and see what it's like once your there. Any queries about anything, just ask on here :smile: