Local dealership. Am I being fobbed off?

I've read here that one of the better dealerships in Glasgow is Arnold Clark Renault in Bishopbriggs who I visited a couple of days ago. I have 2 weeks of warranty left on the vehicle. I have an oil leak on the cam cover from two bolts, one of which is dripping onto the manifold (possible fire hazard?), I'm aware this is a common issue which is rectified under warranty via a replacement cam cover seal. However the minion that popped out to have a look simply replied "they all do that, there will be a charge if you want us to fix it" and cleaned the oil (badly) with a tissue.
I mentioned the rear brakes binding to which he replied "we don't cover that because it's down to usage/wear and tear".

Now I've noticed many on here have had these issues resolved relatively easily with their dealers. Am I being fobbed off? And if so who do I go to?

Good stuff cheers for the replies, sorry to be a mong but which Renault UK office do I contact? Are they regional?

Edit: Forgot to add the the car has done 13k miles.

Ive had over £3000 spend on my car at renault bishopbriggs and they have fixed everything everytime there even fixing my wheels the now cause the paints coming of them you should contact renault uk to get the matter fixed

Good stuff cheers for the replies, sorry to be a mong but which Renault UK office do I contact? Are they regional?

Edit: Forgot to add the the car has done 13k miles.

RUK get the number of net:biggrin:

ive had most of my warranty work done at the Briggs, including new gear box on 197. Ask for Duncan Campbell, think he works front desk and is a good guy. Failing that go to Bearsden renault.

They shouldn't be fobbing you off because they get paid by Renault warranty to do the job so there is no reason for them to get rid of you. The master tech would generally send off a cir (Message asking for authorisation) from Renault and then Renault give them the nod to go ahead so they know they will get the monies

My experience of Arnold Clark is run, and run fast. Get far away and stay that far away. Hell, move house if need be. But I suppose dealers do differ.

I had to wait nearly a year for my recaro subframe from the Briggs, got me gearbox replaced got it back to find pasanger side from calliper scratched bolt missing from undertray wire hanging close to aux belt and my engine coolant bottle hanging off I phoned pretty pissed off to say least took it back tucked wire in put a bolt in undertray and told me nothing holds the coolant bottle in they all do it even although I explained its a silly plastic clip so iv not went back and refuse to use dealerships now unless waranty work as I have no choice !!!!

I had to wait nearly a year for my recaro subframe from the Briggs, got me gearbox replaced got it back to find pasanger side from calliper scratched bolt missing from undertray wire hanging close to aux belt and my engine coolant bottle hanging off I phoned pretty pissed off to say least took it back tucked wire in put a bolt in undertray and told me nothing holds the coolant bottle in they all do it even although I explained its a silly plastic clip so iv not went back and refuse to use dealerships now unless waranty work as I have no choice !!!!

coolant tank is held by a bolt as far as i can remember:s

Lol some of us know how to fit a coolant bottle! We arent all that bad!! Slid in place then a clip as above which is a pain to get to if bumper is on!

I am surprised how bad some of the dealers out there are with warranty work etc

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated, I'll update as soon as I get something sorted with them.

My experience of Arnold Clark is run, and run fast. Get far away and stay that far away. Hell, move house if need be. But I suppose dealers do differ.

I've have a number of friends that have worked for various Arnold Clarkes (different manufacturers not just Renault) both in sales and on the mechanical side in the Glasgow area. The stories are horrific and I wouldn't want repeat them on a public forum. Hopefully not all of them are like this.

I went down today and this time they just booked it in for an inspection for tomorrow. Don't know why they didn't do that last time instead of giving me the "they all do that" line. Will see what happens tomorrow.

Ok here's the update. Before I continue I should add that prior to handing the car to Bishopbriggs Renault I fortunately had it checked by KB Engineering, who actually have a clue about engines. Kenneth Brown confirmed there was a leak which will requires the cam seal having to be replaced. As well as the cam bolts seeping oil there is an additional leak from two holes used to set engine timing (if I remember correctly) this leakage is also dripping onto the gearbox.
Now...I just got a phone call:

Bishopbriggs Renault: "Hello Sir! You car has NO OIL LEAK at all! Couldn't find anything!"

Me: "So how do you explain the oil over the gearbox and the oil pooling around the HT leads via the cam bolts?"

Bishopbriggs Renault: "Well there's no leak to be seen sir. We've cleaned it off anyway"

Me: "So how do you explain the oil that you had to clean?"

Bishopbriggs Renault: "Can't answer that"

Seriously what the f*ck are they playing at? What's with the retarded answers on the phone call? I have a feeling their warranty quota may have been filled and their trying to screw me. I also suspect they've used sealant as a cheap workaround and are pretending the problem doesn't exist and won't resurface when I pick up the car. Will update tomorrow when I speak to their "technician".

Flaming barstewarts I have experienced the same type of issues with Renault Bolton.

This is what you need to do... Phone Renault UK and either speak to customer services or the complaints debt because the will take you seriously. Tell them that you are being fobbed off by your local dealership and mention that you have got a 2nd opinion elsewhere and what the problem is. They will soon sort it for you believe me (I tried it the otherday). They phone the dealership whilst you are on hold and you can only guess what is being said, then by magic your car is booked in. I reckon that your dealership will be more inclined to do a proper job after the input by Renault UK so your car should be repaired no questions asked.

Mine is booked in Monday so I hope so.

Its all wrong really and you shouldnt have to go to those lengths to get the service you have firstly paid for and secondly deserve.

Hope it helps.

Last edited: