Little bump!

So I made a stupid mistake today on the road, I when to pull out of a junction after a car was turning, and stupidly misjudged the speed of the other car, anyway as the car was turning towards me I thought I had enough space to pull out! I didn't and caught the rear of his bumper!
So I pulled up and so did he we got out and checked the damage to his car which was very minimal, two tiny scrapes which were barely visible because of my speed, it was only a slight clip, with a bit of paint transfer to my bumper which has come straight off!
i offered to pay for the damage to be repaired and gave him my name and number, he told me it was fine and not to worry because it wasn't really noticeable so he probably wasn't going to do anything about it.

My my only worry now is that he may claim that I hit him and left, as i didn't get his details ( stupid I know ) or that he will send me a bill for a lot more than it should be. But I never got any details from him so what do I do now? And if he does come back to me with a bill what should I do? Maybe I'm just over thinking it !

So I made a stupid mistake today on the road, I when to pull out of a junction after a car was turning, and stupidly misjudged the speed of the other car, anyway as the car was turning towards me I thought I had enough space to pull out! I didn't and caught the rear of his bumper!
So I pulled up and so did he we got out and checked the damage to his car which was very minimal, two tiny scrapes which were barely visible because of my speed, it was only a slight clip, with a bit of paint transfer to my bumper which has come straight off!
i offered to pay for the damage to be repaired and gave him my name and number, he told me it was fine and not to worry because it wasn't really noticeable so he probably wasn't going to do anything about it.

My my only worry now is that he may claim that I hit him and left, as i didn't get his details ( stupid I know ) or that he will send me a bill for a lot more than it should be. But I never got any details from him so what do I do now? And if he does come back to me with a bill what should I do? Maybe I'm just over thinking it !

This happened to me a while back, i pulled left into a road and clipped a parked cars bumper that was parked on double yellows around 4 ft from the junction (illegal). I parked round the corner and went back to give my details but the car had gone. Therefore i was afraid that i would be done for leaving the scene etc, reported it to the police and the next day a witness reported it that the car i hit pulled into the road from the side and clipped me (uninsured driver i think....) . Moral of the story always report it to the police, it probably wont come to anything but at least youve covered all your bases then

You are not over thinking. Did you get pic of the damage? Write down all the facts you do know now, before you forget. You should really advise your insurer you have had a small bump and there were no injuries. Sure he will be reasonable but people can be tempted with all the pi claim adverts.

You are not over thinking. Did you get pic of the damage? Write down all the facts you do know now, before you forget. You should really advise your insurer you have had a small bump and there were no injuries. Sure he will be reasonable but people can be tempted with all the pi claim adverts.

Nah never got a pic! Why isit you think of all the things you should have done after the accident! The lad did seem very reasonable and was on his own, I had three people with me, but two were family! I didn't want to report it because I really didn't want to go through the insurance and send it sky high!

What did the say when you reported it ? We're u told to tell your insurance?

I just had to fill out an incident form and they take your insurance details but don't use them unless the other person comes forward. I didn't tell my insurance, dont want to get them involved if i could help it.

I just had to fill out an incident form and they take your insurance details but don't use them unless the other person comes forward. I didn't tell my insurance, dont want to get them involved if i could help it.
That's the thing I'm mostly worried about, insurance I don't want it to hit the roof, it's bad enough as it is!

I wouldn't be worrying about that, if he did say you left a scene of an accident, then how would he have got your name and mobile number?

You have given him your details so you have little to worry about but as you didn't get his to be sure just report it too the police and explain why.

You get 24 hours to do this if you can't find the driver in set normal circumstances.

I would NOT inform your insurance company personally.

I don't see why you need to involve the police? You are obliged to tell your insurer; just make it clear that it is for their informations purposes ONLY.

first off you dont need to report a bump to the police all they would say is anyone hurt you say no then they tell you too **** of number 2 don't worry about such a little bump you will find he wouldn't of had insurance in the first place also he cannot put in a claim even if he did have insurance because you offered your details and he failed to take them also if a claim is put in with it not going to happen just dont accept it and fight it out becasue im sure you didnt get eye witnesses dont worry my man be happy bumps happen
tbh when i heard small bump i fort you might of knocked up a bird lol

I had an accident (thankfully not in the Clio) a year ago, my fault. The guy wanted to go through insurer and I kept saying, I'll pay for the damage cos its my fault and I was worried about hikes in my insurance costs. Anyway we exchanged details, I took lots of photos of the scene, cars etc. Then I debated about telling the insurer and decided probably best to. Glad I did - I didn't hear any more from the guy but my insurer rang to tell me the guy had put in a medical claim! The good news is that I have my no claims protected and when the insurance renewal came through there was no difference - to the car I had the accident in, or my Clio. So in my experience it was worth telling insurer. Didn't report it to the police.

As said unless he told the police or got witness details ect he can't do anything as the insurance want a police accident log number or whatever they are called so he couldn't prove it was you surely?

Cheers everyone, I phoned the police this morning and just told them the situation and they told me not to worry, as there was no injuries and it was very minor damage the wouldn't get involved.. The only thing that may happen is that the guy may put my details to the insurance.

Anyway he hasn't got any details of my car as when it happened we had pulled up quiet far away from each other and I walked to his car, the only thing he could probably tell was that my car was blue!! And he only has my name and number too so would probably be difficult proving it.

I think ink I was just panicking a bit last night at the thought that I may have had to say goodbye to my much loved Clio if insurance was involved but feel a lot better now especially after the advice from everyone on here! I do appreciate it!

did the right thing imo, no you didn't need too but you covered your arse from not having his details.

btw iirc not reporting an accident carries upto 9 months in prison! and upto 12 points! and no i'm not saying he would get either and obviously they are maximums etc.

did the right thing imo, no you didn't need too but you covered your arse from not having his details.

btw iirc not reporting an accident carries upto 9 months in prison! and upto 12 points! and no i'm not saying he would get either and obviously they are maximums etc.

Yeh feel a lot better for doing it now like.
I never knew that though, so even more glad I did!