Lightweight flywheels

Whats the real life advantages of having one on a road car?

Gearbox coming off the 197 in a few weeks and if its worth it i'd be up for fitting a lighter flywheel but not looking to burn my cash into something i'll hardly notice or possibly even ruin the cars drivability on the road.

Any past experiences with them or helpful tips/opinions?

ben.

( I know theres been countless past threads about the avaliability of this item, but im asking about the benefits/cons of the item itself in a universal fitment to cars ).

I looked into this on mine and decided against it in the end .

What is the cost of these as i can not remember .?

£120 to have the original lightened and shave off 10-20% ( and possibly sacrifice some service life or durability ) or i can get a custom made single piece billet flywheel shipped in from holland for roughly £400, being 35% lighter.

someone on here has had it done and just cant remember who at the moment.......:angry:

The weight difference increases acceleration by a very small amount as it picks up speed faster and makes it a bit easier for clutch to handle power something to do with rotational weight and mass at speed...... Just had it done cus it sounds good lol. Oh and I wudnt pay 400 lol u dont get enough gain. Deffo get ures lightened if ure dropping Ure box for the diff kill 2 birds n all that

Nope I think I've had mine on for 3k n the clutch still feels like new. A little bit stiff but bite is perfect. Flywheels are good for alot of wear n tear neways mate clutch gives up goose well before fly

The revs will rise quicker in the lower gears. You effectively gain horse power in the lower gears as the engine can rev quicker. On a trailing throttle they will drop quicker. You wont gain top speed though it only aids acceleration and deceleration.

I'm not sure about wear and tear we've only had them go in our vans and it's the starter motor that causes that.

Where are you getting the custom billet one from ?

Last edited:
Removing weight from the fly will increase engine speed as others have said but it does had a negative elsewhere

While the flywheel can hinder the crank picking up speed as quickly, it gives it momentum. Huge amounts of power are stored in the fly and removing weight decrease the momentum. You may see a difference when goin up hills or slope for instances, the fly wheel helps to keep the revs up when under those sorts of loads.

Cars build fir hill climbing don't have light fly wheels

^^ This.

You've not got a particularly torquey engine as it is, removing energy is not a great idea. Maybe for a race car, not for daily duties.

We fit lightweight billet flywheels to all our tarmac rally / sprint/hillclimb engines...we report no adverse affects. Benefits include less cranktrain whip on full throttle shifting, increased engine acceleration...

Typically, the only thing noticeable is a more eratic idle, but we are talking on ~250bhp engines with 290+deg duration cams. Even then this is by no means an issue.

We fit them to higher spec road cars, again with no adverse affects.

We fit lightweight billet flywheels to all our tarmac rally / sprint/hillclimb engines...we report no adverse affects. Benefits include less cranktrain whip on full throttle shifting, increased engine acceleration...

Typically, the only thing noticeable is a more eratic idle, but we are talking on ~250bhp engines with 290+deg duration cams. Even then this is by no means an issue.

We fit them to higher spec road cars, again with no adverse affects.

I'm not saying a lightweight fly is bad for the car, but if it was always the better option it would be fitted as standard no?

The standard fly is in to do a "best at everything" kinda job. 250+bhp race cars don't do half throttle pull offs to then change up at 3.5k

It all depends what your doing with the car and how you drive.

A heavier flywheel dampens out harshness from cranktrain imbalance and combustion frequency....therefore making the car feel smoother....thats why they arent "lightweight" on standard production cars.

I was only implying it was a better option for our cars, i wouldnt be saying the same on a Jaguar/Mercedes/Bentley forum :tongueout:

A heavier flywheel dampens out harshness from cranktrain imbalance and combustion frequency....therefore making the car feel smoother....thats why they arent "lightweight" on standard production cars.

I was only implying it was a better option for our cars, i wouldnt be saying the same on a Jaguar/Mercedes/Bentley forum :tongueout:

What about the whole momentum thingy?