Letting car warm up

Took dad out for a drive but sat there for 2/4 minutes whilst he moved cars, then drove under 3k revs for about 3 ish miles so 6/7 minutes, coolant temp was midway before I even got halfway to where I thrashed it (not even red line), is this enough time to let the car warm up?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should wait a small amount of time after the coolant has reached optimum temp before flooring it.

You've gotta remember you're monitoring coolant temp, not oil temp, coolant temp raises far far faster. The oil needs to circulate and heat the entire pan up.

You should wait a small amount of time after the coolant has reached optimum temp before flooring it.

You've gotta remember you're monitoring coolant temp, not oil temp, coolant temp raises far far faster. The oil needs to circulate and heat the entire pan up.

Yea, coolant temp was up to normal temp when I was half way to where I floored it

Last edited:
i've got the rs monitor (with oil temp) in mine. takes about ten minutes to get the oil up to a safe 80°-85° C.

i've got the rs monitor (with oil temp) in mine. takes about ten minutes to get the oil up to a safe 80°-85° C.

So would you say that with me sitting there for a few mins then taking it easy for 6-7 mins before booting it that would be enough?

So would you say that with me sitting there for a few mins then taking it easy for 6-7 mins before booting it that would be enough?

letting the engine run for a few minutes and then driving off, is not ideal. an engine warms up much quicker when on the go. also it runs richer when stationary, which in turn results in extra wear and more internal pollution.

i suggest, start engine, let it run for max thirty seconds (to get the engine all oiled up), drive off, keep under 3K for about ten minutes, build up the revs from there on, eventually floor it.

letting the engine run for a few minutes and then driving off, is not ideal. an engine warms up much quicker when on the go. also it runs richer when stationary, which in turn results in extra wear and more internal pollution.

i suggest, start engine, let it run for max thirty seconds (to get the engine all oiled up), drive off, keep under 3K for about ten minutes, build up the revs from there on, eventually floor it.

Ok thanks, I wasn't waiting for it to warm when idling, just waiting for dad to get in, would you say that it was ok to floor it when I did then?

wouldnt say it better..spot on.. :thumbup1:

Would you say that what I did is ok that once? Or that it's pretty much ok each time? If thrashing I do let cool down though :smile:

wouldnt worry about it much mate..sometimes you need to do what you need to do..i hate giving it some while still cold but if i need to,i will do to avoid a crash or what ever...

wouldnt worry about it much mate..sometimes you need to do what you need to do..i hate giving it some while still cold but if i need to,i will do to avoid a crash or what ever...

Was just taking dad for a ride, it had been running/driving for 10 mins before booting and coolant was up to temp within 5 mins of engine being on

I'd just like to point out that in freezing conditions, the car will take FAR longer to warm up than in hotter weather. 10 minutes sometimes isn't enough in freezing weather.