Kw v1 vs h&r monotube

I know this has been covered alot and i've read all the threads regarding this.

However i'm still in a dilemma, i can get a used kw v1 set for €650 or a new h&r set for €850.

Now everywhere i read the h&r seems to go a bit lower at the rear which i like, they are supposed to be more progressive but still comparably stiff to the kw's when used on track?

Downside being they aren't as weither proof as the kw.

Now the kw's are supposed to be a bit to hard on the road? Compared to their track abuse ability?

i'm leaning towards the H&R's atm as i have them on the Clio 2 now and really like them, they're stiff enough for an occasional Nurburgring lap and pretty comfortable for a slammed ride which i had....

Please help me out abit!

Cheers,

Arthur

This is a pic of his car with the KW's on:

65972D55-4004-45B6-BED3-FC4DA86CF2F7_zpsafydnyqv.gif

Don't know how much stuff he has in the boot though. I've asked Simone and he says the H&R's are a bit better for road use (progressive spring rate), which is what i'll mainly be doing with the car....

Only thing i really like of the KW's though is there weather resistance....

I run KW1, and do find them a little hard on UK roads. Ive had H&R on another 197 and preferred those for day to day use.

However they looked rough after 12 months, heavy corroding etc, where as my KW's still look like new three years later.

I'm actually waiting for these to be released (very close) Wont go as low as H&R, but i really liked the B14 on a clio 172 i had a few years ago.

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/defaul...6D4F1E1918BC46009A8D7B9940B6B783018004&12=130

they are in final development.

Last edited:
Thanks for your opinion mate, think i'm going H&R. Yes shame they corode, where yours zinc plated?

i have a set on my dci now and they are galvanised, don't look pretty anymore but that doesn't stop them from being great on the road :smile:

Thanks for your opinion mate, think i'm going H&R. Yes shame they corode, where yours zinc plated?

i have a set on my dci now and they are galvanised, don't look pretty anymore but that doesn't stop them from being great on the road :smile:

In that photo the Clio has the 18" Megane wheels fitted so don't be deceived into thinking it will sit like that on standard Clio wheels.

I use to run KW v1s on my old 197, found it to be a perfect compromise of stiffness/ride comfort. Personally I never found them to be overly stiff. Cornered very well too.

I can't comment on the H&R mono, although I hear good things from them.

Have you also consider the Spax RST for a simlar price? They don't have as good reputation as KW or H&R but they are bump/rebound adjustable, which is a feature you won't get on the others.

Hve considered mate, however they are £750 which is €200 more than i can get the H&r's for.
also i won't be toying with the coils as said i use the car for road use 95% of the time...

yes his car has 18" but i will be using 18" too so no problem there. Think i've made up my mind though, H&R's the way forward for me :smile: