Knocking/rattle in boot lid

Hi Guys, :smiley:

Hope all is well.

I have a albi 197 06 plate.

I've been experiencing this knocking sound which sounds like it's coming from the boot lid when going over slight bumps in the road and gets worse the worse the road gets. It started off quiet months ago now its got noisier and more frequent.

I've checked the cup spoiler and that is secured tightly. The bolts at the top of boot lid are tight. I'm not sure if it's the rear wiper motor which is loose inside the black plastic cover which all the wires at the back of the boot?

Has anyone else had this problem before and if so could they advise me where to look.

Look forward to your feedback.

Chris :thumbsup:

Hi Mate,

Would I need to take the catch off the boot to check the switch or is it accessible to tighten with the catch on the boot?

I'm glad someone else is having this problem and it's not just me. I am tempted to unscrew the black plastic cover that covers the wiper motor and wiring up and see if there is anything loose in there.

Black tape around the catch (the bit attached to the car, not the boot hatch) it took me 2 minutes and lasted well over a year.

I had this problem not so long ago, but it was more of a creak/squeak and from the outside of my car I could push the boot lid in and it had play, so I adjusted the catch and all has been fine ever since!

Hyde200 how did you adjust the catch. Did you tighten a screw on the catch which is attached to the car?
[MENTION=1333]racer2011[/MENTION] I adjusted the latch just above the bumper where the boot looks on to? I don't know the name but I took the plastic part of so you can access it and then its 2 torx screws.. undo em and realign may take a few attempts! very brief but hopefully you understand!

@racer2011 I adjusted the latch just above the bumper where the boot looks on to? I don't know the name but I took the plastic part of so you can access it and then its 2 torx screws.. undo em and realign may take a few attempts! very brief but hopefully you understand!

This is the first thing I did with mine, and it worked - for a while. It seemed slowly start to make the noise again over a couple of months, this is why I resorted to the tape fix.

I have wrapped the boot catch with some insulation tape today . Will find out on the way to work in the morning if it's worked :smile:

Hi Guys, :smiley:

Hope all is well.

I have a albi 197 06 plate.

I've been experiencing this knocking sound which sounds like it's coming from the boot lid when going over slight bumps in the road and gets worse the worse the road gets. It started off quiet months ago now its got noisier and more frequent.

I've checked the cup spoiler and that is secured tightly. The bolts at the top of boot lid are tight. I'm not sure if it's the rear wiper motor which is loose inside the black plastic cover which all the wires at the back of the boot?

Has anyone else had this problem before and if so could they advise me where to look.

Look forward to your feedback.

Chris :thumbsup:

I had the same on my 197 about 6 months after I bought it. I was reluctant to alter the boot catch as I didn't want to disturb the panel fit.

After some googling I found a fix that worked for me.

It was to spray WD40 on the plastic plungers on the tailgate.

It's been over 8 months now and it's not returned yet.

Hope that helps someone.

[MENTION=1333]racer2011[/MENTION] I adjusted the latch just above the bumper where the boot looks on to? I don't know the name but I took the plastic part of so you can access it and then its 2 torx screws.. undo em and realign may take a few attempts! very brief but hopefully you understand!

you don't even have to remove the plastic trim if you have the right tools...

I have this strange knocking sound like you say I thought it was coming from underneath but I had a mechanic check everything under Neath suspension anti roll buses etc and everything fine. Maybe it's the boot like yours if a few of you have same problem?