Just had my Recaro repaired

Hi guys,

I bought my 197 just over a week ago, only downside being the drivers side Recaro had pretty bad rips on it. Found a guy in Aberdeen (Kevin at Smart Techniques) who came to my house to repair it. It was worse than he thought, but made a really good job of it. It looks a million times better.

Only query is...does anyone know if it is possible/how to swap the bottom half (where your ass is) over with the passenger side??

Would be handy to get it swapped over to prevent wearing down the repair.

Before seat repair:

18b96da.jpg

After seat repair:

1cf521e.jpg

Cheers, Jamie

Thanks mate. I take it the wires can just be plugged into the connectors on the other side, with no error messages or anything?

Obviously looks a lot better mate, but the stitching is not parallel and the fabric looks rough? May just be the pictures. First smart repair of the Recaros I've seen though, and the guy was brave to tackle that lol.

Yeah, he cut up some foam to fill then gap, then used another bit of fabric to cover the foam. He had a small iron to melt the fabrics together and he matched the colours of the fabrics as best as possible. Unfortunately, i wasn't there to see how he coloured it exactly but he had some sort of paint/dye kit. It doesn't look 100% but is a hell of a lot better than before.

Thanks mate. I take it the wires can just be plugged into the connectors on the other side, with no error messages or anything?

no wires as theres no air bags - just cable retaining clips to pull out of the underside of the seats

Especially considering how it was beforehand, it looks a lot better. If you don't mind me asking (as I'm sure a lot of other forum members will be wondering), what's the rough price for a smart repair like this?

There is an airbag. Its mounted on the side of the Recaro. You can see it clearly in the picture. If you zoom in you can see where it says 'airbag' on the unit in the second picture.

we are talking about the seat bases......:bat:

i have fitted recaros to mine!

Last edited:
Yeah to be honest a tad rough but i'm suprised he managed to get it to that, as it was really quite bad. He said it was really tricky as he didn't want to alter the stitching and there wasn't much fabric there to work with. Wasn't a bad price either...overall it is a massive improvement. Definitely going to try and switch over the seat bases though so the repair is on the inside of the passenger seat.

Do you know how to go about changing the seat back so i could have both repaired parts on the passengers side?

Do you know how to go about changing the seat back so i could have both repaired parts on the passengers side?

sorry no! - not had one fully apart and to be honest you will most likely just need to change the backrest cover over as i think the seat backs are handed due to the air bag...

I'l hopefully get the base swapped over sometime in the next week. Try and have a look at swapping the backs somehow as well. Cheers for the help mate.

And the release to tilt the seat is sided on the back of the seat too.

Personally i'd leave it where it is. At least that way when you go to sell only one seat is damaged. You could get a cover to try to protect it a bit though.