197: Just a little bit of honesty...

Last week at Mallory Park, my 172 blew up. I've been looking for another car as it's not feasible to fix the 172. I've been looking at 197's. Last week, I had arranged to view one in Bristol, which is about an hour and a half from me. It wasn't until Friday evening where the seller sent me a photo of the engine bay for me to see it has had a replacement engine. Because of that, I cancelled the viewing. Luckily I saw it then and didn't make the three hour round trip to find it out.

Anyway, yesterday I arranged to view another in Croydon (S.London). We took about an hour to get there, had a look around the car and picked up on various things that needed doing... 4 new tyres, cambelt, service, new air conditioning pump (as the pipes under the bonnet were not getting cold). So those were already going to set me back around £1.5k. I wasn't told about any of that, so we left.

I then phoned somebody else about another and he was located in Birmingham. So my mate offered to take me up there. Two more of our friends jumped in with it. After the two hour journey up there, we had a look round the car. One of my mates is a trader and another works in a bodyshop so I left them pretty much to it. Again, things needed doing... 4 new tyres, a service, etc... This time the air-con did work. But the car has been in an accident as both rear quarter panels had been re-sprayed a very bad job done. I asked for the service history and after going back in the house, he couldn't find it and then realised he left it at his parents, about two hours away. So I don't know anything what's happened. So even if I was interested, I wouldn't have taken it away without the history. Why doesn't somebody keep all that with the car... especially if you're trying to sell it! And he knew we had to drive about two hours up and the reason why he didn't tell me about ANY of this before we left!!! Grrr!

So I don't know what to do... have kind of seen three Clio's all with timewaster sellers and not buyers (i.e. me) for once. I have £5k cash on me and willing to put more in. I may be arranging to view a couple more during the weekn once the owners get back to me. But if these fall through, I'm going to have to look at an alternative and... an S3 is looking like the replacement.

Rant over.

It's annoying fella but it's just the look of the draw I guess. I spent literally months checking autotrader and pistonheads morning and night until I found mine. Look awesome in the pictures, took my dad with me to see it (who has about 30 years in the industry) and all we could find was a slightly misaligned bumper and a few scratches on the paint. The guy just seemed genuine and everything just seemed right.

Just keep looking mate sure one will come along with your name on it, it'll just feel right!

With 5k it sounds like you're looking at the bottom end of the market, hence the crap examples.

Put another 1 or 2 bags in and you should end up with a LOT nicer one.

Wouldn't bother with the S3 if you're looking at 197s. Had one for a few years and it ate suspension components, was very comfortable and reasonable in a straight line, but handling was awful even after a fortune spent on the suspension.

to be fair the ones that cost 5k are never going to be minters, but just keep searching and youll find one eventually :smile:

Put another 1 or 2 bags in and you should end up with a LOT nicer one.

to be fair the ones that cost 5k are never going to be minters, but just keep searching and youll find one eventually :smile:

Hence why I said I'd put more in, but going armed with £5k cash isn't a bad deposit :smile:

You could always look at a 182 trophy.

Some people have said looking at a late 182. But because I had a 172, I think I want to come away from that shape now as it wouldn't seem like I've progressed anywhere. Will have a look at 182's though.

Wouldn't bother with the S3 if you're looking at 197s. Had one for a few years and it ate suspension components, was very comfortable and reasonable in a straight line, but handling was awful even after a fortune spent on the suspension.

Really? I can appreciate they're very different and I do like my track days, but after doing them for about 5 years, probably a more sensible car is now the way to go. How did you use yours... on track?

Haha! Somebody mentioned that yesterday. I want to go bigger, not smaller. Bigger as in space. I do like the Twingo's though.

Stick it out and you'll find one. But I would ring and ask as many questions as possible before going anywhere, especially if it's more than 20 mins away or you'll end up wasting your time.

I took less than £5k for mine (0656, 96k, FSH, mint) when I sold it at the beginning of the year, and values haven't exactly increased. £5k should get you a 2006 with sub 80k, some extras and the belt change done.

Stick it out, you will find a good one. But be prepared for expensive component failures, ball joints, exhaust manifold, etc.

Really? I can appreciate they're very different and I do like my track days, but after doing them for about 5 years, probably a more sensible car is now the way to go. How did you use yours... on track?

No only on road. Spent probably about £3.5-£4k modding the car.

Ate bushes, rod ends, ball joints.

Very comfortable place to be. Fastish and of course very well built inside and the engine was bulletproof (sold it with 153k on it mapped for approx 80k).

The 200 I have just bought is in a different league for fun though. Only difference is I used the S3 as a daily and the 200 is a part timer.

p.s. I'm sure you do also, but I always make sure I speak to the owner before pitching up to view. It's usually a good indication as someone who you can chat with about the car and others they've had and obviously shows some knowledge and enthusiasm is more likely to be a good prospect. For me the owner has always seemed to be a good indication of the car.

Tyres, Tyres, Tyres, Tyres............Before you go and view the car, ask them what Tyres are on there....anything from Falkens through a to the brands you've never heard of...dont bother wasting your time to go and have a look.

My Grandad always said, you can judge the quality of the man, by the quality of his shoes.

If you can afford to spend a bit more money on something that is going to wear out quickly, your not going to skimp on other important stuff like...Oil...Servicing...Cosmetics....

People that run budget tyres obviously don't see the value in spending money to keep a vehicle up together. Every used car I've looked at in my time that's been running on a budget brand, has almost always been a s**tter else ware.

Remember, people that don't love cars, buy cheap tyres....

Sorry to labour the point, but I am passionate about this...

People that buy expensive tyres

• Car Enthusiasts
  • The Rich
  • (Some) Fleet Management Companies

People that buy cheap tyres

• Heroin Addicts
  • Americans
  • C*nts

Last edited:
Tyres, Tyres, Tyres, Tyres............Before you go and view the car, ask them what Tyres are on there....anything from Falkens through a to the brands you've never heard of...dont bother wasting your time to go and have a look.

My Grandad always said, you can judge the quality of the man, by the quality of his shoes.

If you can afford to spend a bit more money on something that is going to wear out quickly, your not going to skimp on other important stuff like...Oil...Servicing...Cosmetics....

People that run budget tyres obviously don't see the value in spending money to keep a vehicle up together. Every used car I've looked at in my time that's been running on a budget brand, has almost always been a s**tter else ware.

Remember, people that don't love cars, buy cheap tyres....

Sorry to labour the point, but I am passionate about this...

People that buy expensive tyres

• Car Enthusiasts
  • The Rich
  • Fleet Management Companies

People that buy cheap tyres

• Heroin Addicts
  • Americans
  • C*nts

That is the most sense I have read in a while. Good advice.

The old meggy? Even a 2l diesel gt that'll be quick cheaper to run and bigger!

I used to hate, then love the Meganes. But not really anymore.

Stick it out and you'll find one. But I would ring and ask as many questions as possible before going anywhere, especially if it's more than 20 mins away or you'll end up wasting your time.

I've definitely learnt from my (well other peoples) mistakes.

Stick it out, you will find a good one. But be prepared for expensive component failures, ball joints, exhaust manifold, etc.

Thanks mate :smile:

The 200 I have just bought is in a different league for fun though. Only difference is I used the S3 as a daily and the 200 is a part timer.

Oh ok. I'd be using the 197 for road/track.

p.s. I'm sure you do also, but I always make sure I speak to the owner before pitching up to view.

I actually did that to both on Saturday. The first was a dealer and the second was private. The second didn't feel me with much confidence after I told him I had already been to view one and found problems. He asked what problems, I told him and he said "looks lik you had a thorough look then". I was like... well I am hoping to buy a car today :s And he said to me... "Maybe you could teach/tell me a thing or two". Hmmm.

Tyres, Tyres, Tyres, Tyres

Brilliant! :clap:

I'm exactly the same. Both cars I viewed on Saturday had either all worn tyres or a mix. I viewed a blue 197 yesterday. Had a loads of tread but I've never heard of the tyres. Appear they're winter/snow type things so sod taking that anywhere near a track.

Ok, it looks like I have a couple to look at this week, preferably Wednesday. A red 197 and a black 197. The red one is nice and loaded with options but has quite high mileage. The black one is also nice, standard and 20k less miles. Hmmm.

Ok, it looks like I have a couple to look at this week, preferably Wednesday. A red 197 and a black 197. The red one is nice and loaded with options but has quite high mileage. The black one is also nice, standard and 20k less miles. Hmmm.

Where about's in Hampshire are you mate, once you get your new motor, might be time for a mini meet :smile:

I live in Dorset but work in Berksh*te & London, so I spend 80 percent of my driving life in Hampshire lol

Based on my experience I wouldn't worry too much about mileage, if maintained properly; the failures I suffered seemed common for the age, and didn't appear premature as a consequence of high mileage.