John o' Groats to Lands End

A friend of mine want's to do this, he's had this idea in his head for years but just recently has sat me down and said "We are doing this"

He wants to buy a car between us (old banger) for 200-500 quid and then travel 2000 miles and on the way back to Crewe pop in the FCS at Castle Combe, sounds like a great idea! Unfortunately I have a few problems.

1. Cambelt/5 year service is being done on the 3rd June and is gonna set me back 699 quid.
2. The car itself is gonna cost 500 buff to get a half decent runner (might just get that back selling it) not to mention petty, food and camping costs.
3. I've been told by the better half that it's a silly idea and that she wants to go on holiday this year which I've already promised to go on.

So first thing is, what would you do? And secondly don't suppose any one knows of a Renault sport going for sub £600? That has MOT and Tax for a few months and will get me through 2000 miles of hard slugging? Wishful thinking I know :blowup:

£500 id be looking for an MX5 or a Saxo/Xsara VTS. I wouldnt worry about the 2000miles so long as you have breakdown cover

Was thinking Saxo, but he isn't having any of it. He wanted to get a Suzuki mini people carrier due to it only having 34,000 miles. But I was having none of it!

But yeah good thinking on the breakdown cover, just Taxed and Mot'd is all we need really. Was even considering hitting a car auction but might be playing with fire there.

Was thinking Saxo, but he isn't having any of it. He wanted to get a Suzuki mini people carrier due to it only having 34,000 miles. But I was having none of it!

But yeah good thinking on the breakdown cover, just Taxed and Mot'd is all we need really. Was even considering hitting a car auction but might be playing with fire there.

If he wont take a saxo, look for a xsara vts, pretty much a 306 gti6 but with a 5speed box and a lil lighter. Very underated cars and ull pick one up for peanus!

This is something that I've always wanted to do. trouble is living in Cornwall I pretty much have to do, Lands End - John O Groats then almost all the way back again.

I will do it one day though.

Me personally I'd take the 197 :tongueout:

If he wont take a saxo, look for a xsara vts, pretty much a 306 gti6 but with a 5speed box and a lil lighter. Very underated cars and ull pick one up for peanus!

That might be a good shout, I'll look out for some and see what he says.

^^ This.... Why bother buying a banger when the Clio is the perfect car to do it in?

There is nothing I would love more than to take the Clio, but as we are doing 2000 miles in a week, both driving it and heading deep into the unknown I didn't really fancy risking it. (More the fact that he would be doing some of the driving and I like my front end as it is!).

If we had enough cash so we didn't have to split the petty, I would definitely be taking the Clio and let him take whatever he wanted.

This is something that I've always wanted to do. trouble is living in Cornwall I pretty much have to do, Lands End - John O Groats then almost all the way back again.

surely it's the same for everyone regardless of where you live? I live in Derbyshire so I'd have to travel all the way to lands end, then ton John o'groats then back to Derbyshire again. Same distance where ever you start........

I did John O Groats last year, from Notts up to Fort William then around the edge up to there. The roads north of Ullapool are epic and empty, going across the top seems like the whole world has disappeared! 1600 ish miles in 5 days

surely it's the same for everyone regardless of where you live? I live in Derbyshire so I'd have to travel all the way to lands end, then ton John o'groats then back to Derbyshire again. Same distance where ever you start........

This is a very valid point and has made me realize I look a bit of a wally haha

I think the way I was looking at it was, I'd have to go from lands end to john o groats then almost back to the start. Whereas if you're in Derbyshire you only have have to do John o'groats - derby on the way home thus being less miles. I didn't take into account getting to lands end in the first place. Doh. :rofl:

This is a very valid point and has made me realize I look a bit of a wally haha

I think the way I was looking at it was, I'd have to go from lands end to john o groats then almost back to the start. Whereas if you're in Derbyshire you only have have to do John o'groats - derby on the way home thus being less miles. I didn't take into account getting to lands end in the first place. Doh. :rofl:

lol, no worries. I was doubting myself for a minute too! I can certainly see how you came to the conclusion is was further, it certainly soundl like it should be!

Similar Thread Suggestions