itg panel filter

i know alot of people on this site are using these, i was just wondering what difference it makes... if any. i kno an air filter isnt going to give you power gains really, so whats the advantage of having one... other than apparantly never having to clean it lol. cheers guyssss...

Without doubt better airflow and sometimes you get a little bit of extra induction "grunt"

Personally i prefer OEM air boxes to induction kits, mainly because Renault (or whoever) will have spent many hours designing that airbox using computer modelling and all sorts of other wonderful means to make sure it works right.... yet people always believe it better to fit an induction kit made up by a manufacturer claiming it to be better... when its just a bit of mandrel bent pipe and a cone filter lol

Also shiny bling bling pipe, although it looks good, is crap at keeping the heat out.... one thing that matt black plastic is VERY good at :wink:

So big thumbs up for panel filters from me!

Related slightly... heres the difference between a standard Volvo filter and a K&N filter...

DSC_0009.jpg
DSC_0014.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg

As you can see the OEM one is a big wad off paper pretty much!

Granted the filtration properties may be slightly better, but trying stuffing cotton wool up your nose and see how hard it is to breath :wink:

If Renault spent that much then is that why they use it on 1.4, 1.6 and all the various versions of na 2.0 in production?

It can be improved on, but imo itg panel is a waste of time, and yes ive had one.

the aftermarket panel air filters will indeed offer your engine better breathing but at the cost of poorer filtration, which in the long term will affect your engine cylinders, walls, pistons and piston rings

unfortunately the most damaging particles are the smallest ones - the very fine dust - which is not stopped by a "performance air filter"

if you plan to keep your car longer than 3 years I wouldn't advise changing from the OEM paper filter, which has the best filtration properties

Had K&N panel filter for 8 years in my '92 Audi 100 2.5 TDI, and never had any problems. Bought it used, 8 years old, and with 140 000km, and sold it last year with 445 000km.

So, 300 000km with the K&N panel filter - no problems.

If Renault spent that much then is that why they use it on 1.4, 1.6 and all the various versions of na 2.0 in production?

It can be improved on, but imo itg panel is a waste of time, and yes ive had one.

Two words.... Mass Production

I agree it can be improved on, i suppose i should have worded my post better to say i prefer enclosed systems (the OEM airbox being one) rather than the flashy kits that claim this-that-and the other.

And id rather keep the standard airbox unless i saw substantial proof and scientific evidence that the expenditure on a different intake system would be making a reasonable improvement.

the aftermarket panel air filters will indeed offer your engine better breathing but at the cost of poorer filtration, which in the long term will affect your engine cylinders, walls, pistons and piston rings

unfortunately the most damaging particles are the smallest ones - the very fine dust - which is not stopped by a "performance air filter"

if you plan to keep your car longer than 3 years I wouldn't advise changing from the OEM paper filter, which has the best filtration properties

I can understand your point with where you live, where fine particle ingestion is at an all time high :thumbup1:

In the UK we dont suffer as bad, because its normally chucking it down which pulls most of the fine stuff out the air :lol:

Ive ran K&N filters for years, and just gave them a 6 month clean and oil respray and never had the smallest of problems from increased abrasion to the rings or cylinder walls, or anything else associated.

Granted i agree, filtration is at a slight loss compared to the OEM item, but i do believe you will have to do reasonable millage in a "contaminated" environment to actually start to suffer ill effect. :smile:

Two words.... Mass Production

I agree it can be improved on, i suppose i should have worded my post better to say i prefer enclosed systems (the OEM airbox being one) rather than the flashy kits that claim this-that-and the other.

And id rather keep the standard airbox unless i saw substantial proof and scientific evidence that the expenditure on a different intake system would be making a reasonable improvement.

With the other part of your post I agree 100%, but the Clio V6 Ph2 airbox has a positive effect on the bhp & torque - first hand experience.

Will post results as soon as I get my car on the dyno. Maybe won't be 100% precise because I had my flywheel lightened, and then I got the airbox, but you get an idea.

And just because of the mass production and the "economy of scale" it's easier (read: CHEAPER) for the manufacturers to use as much of the same parts as possible - and that can leave room for improvement.

While the aftermarket manufacturers (by that I mean tuning companies such as K&N, KTR,...) don't need to look after the ecological standards (most of them), and they charge their products well so the production cost is not such an issue.

With the other part of your post I agree 100%, but the Clio V6 Ph2 airbox has a positive effect on the bhp & torque - first hand experience.

Will post results as soon as I get my car on the dyno. Maybe won't be 100% precise because I had my flywheel lightened, and then I got the airbox, but you get an idea.

And just because of the mass production and the "economy of scale" it's easier (read: CHEAPER) for the manufacturers to use as much of the same parts as possible - and that can leave room for improvement.

While the aftermarket manufacturers (by that I mean tuning companies such as K&N, KTR,...) don't need to look after the ecological standards (most of them), and they charge their products well so the production cost is not such an issue.

Yep, i can agree with all that.

I would have thought the V6 unit had a bit more R&D thrown at it rather than using an exisitng part, obviously you are in the process/have prooven this.

And yes i do agree it can be improved on through exactly the means you have stated, its obviously catering for more than one engine setup, and can be improved more towards performing with the 2.0l

Again, ill make the point, i never think OEM air boxes are as bad as some people try to make out to justify you buying their product.

Im always intrigued to see companys (KTR/whoever) with the resource to do so, create their own product, prototype it and engineer it to be much better than the OEM item... but also proove that its better, and if it is, ill gladly place an order :smile:

Ive seen so many "experts" and "companys" create stuff over the years that actually match, or do worse than OEM stuff :thumbdown:

Hmm interesting stuff! So people that own an itg panel filter? Any improvement in throttle response? Worth it? Not worth it?

I don't claim to be an expert in the area but there's no way a performance panel filter will reduce engine life due to excessive wear. The UK has very damp conditions which keep contaminant down and result in a relatively dust free enviroment. Granted u may get slightly more wear as any filter which flows easier, by nature, will have more tolerance for particles to pass through. The amount of mileage you would have to cover for it to be a factor is too far to consider anyway.

I don't understand people on here, you do realise you oil up these filters and clean them regularly ? That's the whole point in it. You don't install and leave it there for years, you clean it with your special cleaning fluids and the oil up and leave to soak in then it's ready to install again. Same as a motocross bike. Each race you clean the filter and then oil it up? So the oil traps the small dust particles but allows a better air flow. Aslong as you clean it and re oil it regularly I don't get how it creates more engine damage?
I say worth it as paper filters are one use only and need to be changed more regular as paper filters don't last as long

worth it in my opinion