ISS visible at night INCL up close pics

Hello everyone this may interest some of you. At certain times in the evening you can see the international space station, It's very easy to spot it approaches from the west. It looks like a bright star moving pretty fast, But if you have a pair of binoculers you can see the solar panels etc.
Here's a website for the times
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/skywatch.cgi?country=United+Kingdom
and here's one were you can track it live
http://www.heavens-above.com/
Here's some pics i took the other night, Each pic shows the ISS travelling 150 miles.
js800__MG_7730.jpg
js800__MG_7731.jpg
js800__MG_7732.jpg
You should see a satelite in front of the ISS tonight

Last edited:
Yeah i saw this last night, i wondered what it was as the light on it was not flashing and therefore not a plane!
Nice photos too mate.

will keep an eye out for it tonight, nice and clear sky. What exposure and aperture settings are you using?

I just put the camera on the tri-pod set it on TV for a 30 second exposure, Tonight i'm having a go with my zoom lense which i expect the settings will be ISO 2500 and a shutter speed of about 1/500.

according to the website, it will be visible again later - how does that work then?

yes i've seen it someone at the pub pointed it out to me.
from what i hear they can see liquid yellow clio's from up there

Here's some up close pics, I really want a 2x convertor so it would become a 1000mm lense:smile:.
Anyway these were taken with my Canon 50D and sigma 50-500mm lense, As you can probably tell there heavily cropped
Shutter speed 1/1250, ISO 2500, 500mm
js800__MG_7759.jpg
Shutter speed 1/800, ISO 2000, 500mm
js800__MG_7760.jpg

great! I will get mine out for the next pass. My biggest lense is only 300mm so see if I can catch it

Cheers everyone, Its still over exposed so i'll turn the ISO down on the next pass. You've got another chance to see the ISS tonight if you click on the first link in the first post on this thread

Ill be popping out in an hour to see if I can spot it!

Really good photos too Nick, thats a hell of a zoom!

according to the website, it will be visible again later - how does that work then?

It's orbit takes 90 minutes I think it is, and it moves slightly further west on each orbit if you see what I am saying.

Amazing pictures BTW mate, just amazing!

Wow excellent pics Nick. Just got my EOS 300D today with standard 18-55 lens - don't think I'll get quite as great results but equally looking forward to getting snapping!Website is interesting too

It really is an amazing site.

Two years ago, the moon was a crescent shape, and Jupiter, Mars, Saturn and Venus were all lined up in the crescent and just beneath the moon, the the ISS passed along the bottom.

A sight I will NEVER forget!

I love these kind of things!