Is it just me? Fiesta vs Clio

Is it just me or is the new fiesta st overrated? on paper the 197/200 is as quick in terms of 0-60s and top speeds and I can't imagine the fiestas chassis being any better than the clio either and yet the 197 debuted a good 7 years prior to the fiesta. Basically I can't imagine the fiesta being any better than the clio and even if it is, it can't be worth the premium, can it? anyone had or driven both?

All the positive comments about the ST are because the car media are comparing it to rivals being made now: Mini CS, 208 GTi, Corsa VXR, 200T etc. They think that it is a great car when driven alongside those models.

Perhaps if they did a test with a 197/200 there might be a different outcome :smile: but the magazines aren't likely to do it, as a potential buyer of an ST will probably have a budget to buy one and therefore the 197/200 isn't relevant in a consumer test.

my mate had the new st and we had some fun on croft one day and he couldn't get me on the long straight or even on the bends the clio for me is a much better car and sound better too

Is it just me or is the new fiesta st overrated? on paper the 197/200 is as quick in terms of 0-60s and top speeds and I can't imagine the fiestas chassis being any better than the clio either and yet the 197 debuted a good 7 years prior to the fiesta. Basically I can't imagine the fiesta being any better than the clio and even if it is, it can't be worth the premium, can it? anyone had or driven both?

it is and isn't!

had one great car went well handled great but my 197 for ME was still better...

funny you posted this today..had a chance to encounter a couple of fiestas' up to now and to my surprise,the clio was a better and quicker car in both cases..
the initial boost gives the fiesta a few yards advantage but thats it..will catch up in no time..and taday on a roundabout,the same result..the guy in the fiesta couldnt shake me off..and i had my shopping in...:rofl:

Last edited:
Never encountered one in my 197 but in the 200t I've been behind one and wasn't impressed, I had plenty left to give... Guess its driver dependant.

The people driving the cars for reviews, drive different cars on a day by day basis of all different classes. Perhaps the fiesta is something you can get into and extract a lot out of them easily. Might take one for a test drive and see what all the fuss is about.

for me the best thing for the st was the engine...simply brilliant whilst its new :cloud9:

All the positive comments about the ST are because the car media are comparing it to rivals being made now: Mini CS, 208 GTi, Corsa VXR, 200T etc. They think that it is a great car when driven alongside those models.

Perhaps if they did a test with a 197/200 there might be a different outcome :smile: but the magazines aren't likely to do it, as a potential buyer of an ST will probably have a budget to buy one and therefore the 197/200 isn't relevant in a consumer test.

Definatley agree with this. I think the fiesta might be better in daily use, the 197 could do with some more torque lower in the rev range, don't know about the 200s though.

Sorry boys but I've got both, a 200 (non T) and an ST. Engine wise the ST blinds the clios. Point to point on a normal road the torque of the fiesta just makes it so much better for getting past traffic and making progress on any road. While you are stirring the gears in the Clio to make it go the ST has gone. The torque vectoring on the ST just fires it out of corners while the Clio (even if you are in the right gear) is left scrabbling for grip.
Having said all that, the ST feels a much bigger car and the feedback from it is not as involving as the Clio. I have a Lotus Elise and the Clio has similar feelings of connection to the road and the controls as the lotus, The ST doesn't have that feeling. The other issue I have with the ST is the ride, it really is very hard, harder than an old 197 I had with 30mm lowered springs. Passengers have a really rough time in the ST. My 200 even with cup suspension is a lot friendlier.

Having said all of that if I had to keep one of the two it would be the Clio, although it is not as good in many ways it has a character that the ST doesn't.

The fiesta doesn't have a 'premium' on it compared to the clio 200,

You can get a fiesta ST for £14k where as the clio I bought was over £18k

I had a go in an ST and it was a nice car and seemed to go and handle well. However, I didn't like the slight lag when you're going through the gears (turbo to blame here), where the clio just seems to be straight back on the power (as long as you've changed gear right up the Rev range). The ST just didn't do it for me. I didn't get out thinking I'd rather have that brand new ST over my 7 year old Clio. (Apart from the slight feeling of, "that's a brand new car and is worth loads more than mine!").

I never even considered the ST when buying my 200T, I do quite like them but i'd never own one, i'd have a mk3 200 if I wanted a manual hatch but I didn't. I'm a hardcore Renaultsport fan having owned a 182 Trophy, 250 Cup and now a 200T and it hasn't disappointed at all and I really couldn't disagree with the press reviews further (apart from Chris Harris who liked it). I think the engine is great, the gearbox works really well and it's good fun and very capable across country on top of being fun and having great tech. I really cannot fault it. I'm at the 'Ring in August to help me understand what it can and can't do further.

The gearbox is the focal point of most of the criticism, in full auto mode it's not tuned properly so the gear selection is sometimes a bit odd but in paddle mode I like it. I read somewhere else that it's a case of using it to work out how to get the best from it which I would agree with, you definitely learn to really make it work. It's not the fastest shift but for most road driving it's actually nice like that because it's not at all jolty, but if you want to press on you have sport and race mode which I would comfortably say rivals a Nissan GTR for response and is plenty more friendly than that of LP560/70 Gallardo's which are awfully jolty.

People need to just stop slating the car because of what the press say, drive the car and see that it's awesome :smile:

A Fiesta ST would **** on a Clio, I can't believe there are people actually saying that they wont. Regular, there may be similarities between the two with power outputs, but a montune'd Fiesta would actually rape the Clio, I know, I've raced one ... You don't stand a chance. There's a fair few years between the 197/200 and the Fiesta and it certainly shows. The Fiesta is an animal.

But Clio.

Why don't I get one? They're common as muck and I don't like the way they look. Other than that, mechanically awesome.

Last edited:
I never even considered the ST when buying my 200T, I do quite like them but i'd never own one, i'd have a mk3 200 if I wanted a manual hatch but I didn't. I'm a hardcore Renaultsport fan having owned a 182 Trophy, 250 Cup and now a 200T and it hasn't disappointed at all and I really couldn't disagree with the press reviews further (apart from Chris Harris who liked it). I think the engine is great, the gearbox works really well and it's good fun and very capable across country on top of being fun and having great tech. I really cannot fault it. I'm at the 'Ring in August to help me understand what it can and can't do further.

The gearbox is the focal point of most of the criticism, in full auto mode it's not tuned properly so the gear selection is sometimes a bit odd but in paddle mode I like it. I read somewhere else that it's a case of using it to work out how to get the best from it which I would agree with, you definitely learn to really make it work. It's not the fastest shift but for most road driving it's actually nice like that because it's not at all jolty, but if you want to press on you have sport and race mode which I would comfortably say rivals a Nissan GTR for response and is plenty more friendly than that of LP560/70 Gallardo's which are awfully jolty.

People need to just stop slating the car because of what the press say, drive the car and see that it's awesome :smile:

Well said sir!

A Fiesta ST would **** on a Clio, I can't believe there are people actually saying that they wont. Regular, there may be similarities between the two with power outputs, but a montune'd Fiesta would actually rape the Clio, I know, I've raced one ... You don't stand a chance. There's a fair few years between the 197/200 and the Fiesta and it certainly shows. The Fiesta is an animal.

But Clio.

Why don't I get one? They're common as muck and I don't like the way they look. Other than that, mechanically awesome.

Rape a clio, no lol...

But Clio.

[video]https://youtu.be/Fzb6z6f0cbY?t=5m37s[/video]

you might have a point Kaz..but on the other hand as in my post..i've had a chance to (not to race)but have a spirrited drive with 2 of them(presume they were both standard) and they couldnt shake me off..on a straight i even won..guess the guy let off the throttle before i did...but still..i dare to dissagre with you on this one mate...
they are great as said before but a clio all the way :w00t:

having onwed a fiesta ST for awhile, they are a really good car. If someone said out box standard what would you have Id have a clio as in standard form clio just edges it. (200 cup n/a)

If went down tuning route the. have be fiesta. If I had done same mods to a fiesta as u have with the clio , fiesta would wipe floor with it. Has the extra grunt, specially the torque that little 1.6 kicks out. Set coilovers just handle Aswell as clio with supporting mods.

Last edited:

But Clio.

Fiesta ST 197bhp on overboost, 1163kg, 169bhp per tonne
Clio 200T 197bhp, 1204kg, 163bhp per tonne.

Basically the're the same speed, lets not pretend otherwise. The video from top gear, poor start from the ST (probably launch in the Clio?) and then they level pegged basically.

Pretty much comes down to if you want a manual? Which you like the looks of? ST is a bit sportier and more dynamic in handling terms, but apparently stiff as fook. So question of how comfy?

I'd choose the ST because 3dr, manual and factory Mountune upgrades make it a no brainer for me.