Immobilser card

My son has a 2006 (56) plate 197 with keyless start. The car was okay yesterday but now refuses to start. The engine immobiliser seems to have activated. He has a message saying key not recognised. He has changed the battery in the card but to no avail. He has phoned Renault to be told that the card will probably need reprogramming. We live in Bristol, he is stuck down in Dorset. We have sent his spare card fob down to him in the hope that this will hopefully start his car. Has anyone come across this problem before? Many thanks Rich.
PS It does not lock or unlock the car either.

My Laguna did that AA came out and disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it worked after that worth a try (my spare card didnt work either by the way)

Has he tried putting the card in the slot on the underside of the centre console.

The cards can need reprograming but quite rare.

I was told the crd also has a built in rechargable battery that can't be replaced. To keep it charged you need to drive with the cards in the slot occasionally to keep it charged. This happed to me.

normally this works. as it resets the ecu. be sure to leave the bettery dc for 5 minutes then re connect n tighten up or it gives false negative. happened to me on a clio 1.2

I would just like to say thanks again to you all, The problem has been resolvled. The spare card worked. My son will now take his other one to a Renault dealer for hopefully a fix. 8) Cheers Rich.