i-mac - worth the money ?

Adrian

Platinum Legend
Platinum Member
Been contemplating buying a Mac for a while now as I am aiming to get into my digital photography a lot more this year. My pc is so sloooooww it is unreal, and more often than not decides to switch itself off mid way through editing pics so I have to start again.

This is the model I have been looking at:

http://www.bestbuy.co.uk/product/10...c-mc510ba---intel-core-i3-1tb-4gb-memory.aspx

I have never used a Mac before, but people tell me it is loads better than windows based machines. Are they worth the vast amount of money, or am I going to be disappointed?

If I get it I need to get it before VAT goes up on Tuesday and makes it even more costly. Wouldnt even entertain spending that kind of cash on a windows pc.

opinions welcome :smile:

I love my Mac. I'd highly recommend them. We have just a macbook pro and it is awesome. Faster, sleeker and just generally better than the windows operating system.

Takes a bit of getting used to after working with windows for so long, but once you get the hang of it you'll love it.

As above really.

Had my 21.5" iMac a year now, and it is superior to a PC in everyway. I run the full version of Photoshop CS4 with no slow down / poor running at all, ever.

The only thing that lets the side down is if you are a PC gamer, as 99% of games do not get converted to Mac format, which is irritating. Still, whats a PS3 for though?!?

Do it, you won't regret it.

images768s.jpg

I tend to prefer shaving but each to their own....

Seriously though I have always worked with PC's until I started using Emma's Macbook and I really don't like it, I don't seen any benefit of the Mac over PC and I have had no end of compatibility issues with some of the electronics that I have. It has meant that I haven't been able to upload photos or music and it seems to be less reliable than my laptop. Having said that the Macbook Air is a beautiful bit of kit!

Trust you to lower the tone Paul ! I dont use the computer for playing games, too complicated, as you say, thats what the xbox/ps3 is for. It will mainly be photo and video editing that I will use it for.

I was looking at getting a Macbook Air but not sure I could get my head around the difference being a windows user.

Sorry Adrian :oops:

Its just the way I read it first time I saw the thread lol!

As I said I just can't see much benefit to it over Windows OS. I am more than happy to be proven wrong though :smile:

Definately get one. Macs ftw!!
I have a MacBook Pro. I will never go back to windows laptops now ive seen the light :wink:

Btw, find someone at Uni to buy it for you. Im at Uni and got 15% education discount on my MBP and massive discount on Apple Care.
MBP - Should be £1k - I got it for £850
Apple Care - Should be £200 I think - I got it for £40
iWorks - Dunno how much it should be, but I got it for £30.
Total cost = cheaper than what the MBP should have been on its own :wink:

I first started using Mac's in college when I did alot of video and photo editing, I've had my Macbook Pro for almost 2 years now, it's a decent one anyway but hasn't slowed down, still works like it's brand new. I've never had any compatibility issues? :confused1: although I've never attempted to use it for gaming.
Everytime I use Windows now it's just laughable that people just accept the rubbishness of it, my flatmate bought a good laptop a few months ago and already he's sick of it and is in a right huff because he didn't listen to me when I suggested buying a Mac!
I highly recommend buying one, they are totally worth the extra money, and are dead simple to use, and for photo editing there is nothing better, simple as!

i dont know a great deal about computers but isnt that ALOT of money for an apple computer because you must really be able to all you can in an apple that you can on a computer right?

I bought a 27" screen iMac with IPad and every extra bit ott but I wanted the best bought it all for work which I do alot of web design dreamweaver work etc
I still run a windows machine along side it the mac is also running a software program which allows me to link into windows from my mac for the 1 or 2 programs mac won't run I.e turbo lister.
However I have only really used mac stuff since I got it all at the beginning of dec and I am now looking at replacing my laptop for a Mbp and anouther 27" screen /-)
So I guess that kinda shows how good I think they are since I bought mine it's swayed my dad to get one and my Sis got an mbp for crumb
Mac=the way forward. Even posted this off my iPhone!!! :smile:

BUY ONE YOU MUG!!!

Definately get one. Macs ftw!!
I have a MacBook Pro. I will never go back to windows laptops now ive seen the light :wink:

Btw, find someone at Uni to buy it for you. Im at Uni and got 15% education discount on my MBP and massive discount on Apple Care.
MBP - Should be £1k - I got it for £850
Apple Care - Should be £200 I think - I got it for £40
iWorks - Dunno how much it should be, but I got it for £30.
Total cost = cheaper than what the MBP should have been on its own :wink:

Definitely, I got education discount when I bought mine, because I was doing a night course at college at the time, therefore I had a college card.

Photoshop CS4 was supposed to be around £900, got it for £160. All I had to do was scan my college card, and send it to Adobe. Easy.

Definitely, I got education discount when I bought mine, because I was doing a night course at college at the time, therefore I had a college card.

Photoshop CS4 was supposed to be around £900, got it for £160. All I had to do was scan my college card, and send it to Adobe. Easy.

Did you get the 15% off the MacBook/iMac?
Just wondering, as I thought that Uni students got the 15%, and college get slightly less discount?

My sis is at uni but she is on her gap year in the states at the minute so its a little awkward

yes yes yes

ive got a imac 21.5 and macbook , never missed a beat does exactly what you tell it to do

no crashes or silly apps needed to keep it running sweet

you might pay more but the good thing is if you sell in the future they hold their value really well, its kind of an investment

My sis is at uni but she is on her gap year in the states at the minute so its a little awkward

Im sure that she would be able to order it and have it delivered to her home address?? (assuming that her home address is close to you).

Tbf, when I rung up to order mine, they asked what uni I was at and that was it. Didnt ask for proof etc. Maybe worth giving Apple Education a ring anyway?
EDIT: To add to that, I doubt they can check up with Uni either as that would be against Data Protection, would it not?!

Once you go Mac you never go back!

The only thing is Windows based laptop gets used for now is some internet surfing. That's all! Mac gets used for EVERYTHING else.