I hate my 200rs auto

I would give it a bit for time and see if you can adapt! Funny though, out of all the cars I've had, my 197 was the first ever car I had that I bonded with right from the first second I got in it! So maybe the 200t has a lot to live up to and the fact that it's a completely different beast from the previous generation that requires a completely different driving style.

I am sure that given time I would get used to it, bit equally sure that I would only be tolerating it. It's not enough, life is too short and it cost too much money to make me feel as miserable as this. I loved my 182 and like you also loved the 197 from the start. I know what I like and it's definitely not this gearbox.

I also love my Ducati Monster on a sunny and dry day, but that's another forum!

Last edited:
I will probably look out for a late, low mileage 200 with the manual box. If I can find the right one it will probably do the job until the next clio sport version comes out, which I am sure will feature a manual gearbox, at least as an option.

yeah you need to press it every time, sell it and keep the 197.

Pointless keeping a car you don't like imo.

I like the 200T personally but its not for me due to the gearbox/auto.

I don't like the new Clio at all. It's a sight for sore eyes. That front end looks disgusting.

Meh, just my opinion but further the fact that it has a different gearbox is like marmite.

Linda

nothing wrong in not "getting use to it" im 33 and i don't want to get use to any auto, i love driving and love manual gearboxes and i bought the 197 as a keeper as i dont like where cars are going, not saying they are not good just saying i love manual shifting!

Sounds like you would bond well with a Clio 200 Cup, rather than the 200T. I nice little step up from your 197.

Personally I'd go with 200FF with cup pack. Proper 'cup' interiors suck unless you want a 'plastic' racecar feel, and would be a big step down from a 200t interior IMO.

Personally I'd go with 200FF with cup pack. Proper 'cup' interiors suck unless you want a 'plastic' racecar feel, and would be a big step down from a 200t interior IMO.

I was waiting for this, lol. I went out if my way to find a good genuine 200 Cup with Recaros and A/C. Auto climate, keyless go are all bits to go wrong in my opinion, and I'm genuinely not interested in toys. If I was using it on track and auto testing I would opt for the cup personally, although admittedly were not talking huge differences.

I think that one good thing that this thread has highlighted (no disrespect intended to the OP). Is the need for a decent extended test drive. Especially as the 200t is such a radical departure from previous Clio RS models. Mind you, I know myself know how difficult it can be even finding a dealer with a demo car. Let alone one that will take it away for a decent length of time. I myself went back and got a 2nd drive, as I was not completely sure myself (being a stick shift man for almost 40 years). Got to be one of the most expensive mistakes that you can make otherwise.

OP. Good luck with sorting out a car that suits :smile:

No offence taken MikeO. You are quite correct. I did drive it for a while, but when its so different you know that its going to take some getting used to. I thought that left to drive to by myself and play around with it, it would be fun. I should have driven it for longer before deciding to buy it. Indeed it is an expensive mistake, however my happiness and driving fun is priceless!

I think that one good thing that this thread has highlighted (no disrespect intended to the OP). Is the need for a decent extended test drive. Especially as the 200t is such a radical departure from previous Clio RS models. Mind you, I know myself know how difficult it can be even finding a dealer with a demo car. Let alone one that will take it away for a decent length of time. I myself went back and got a 2nd drive, as I was not completely sure myself (being a stick shift man for almost 40 years). Got to be one of the most expensive mistakes that you can make otherwise.

100% on that one!

Roblynn, Foxspeed and Myself had a proper test drive when it 1st came out, courtesy of Matt at Wolves Renault. I must admit when it 1st came out i was one of the sceptical ones about its 5 doors and auto box, etc, etc. But the test drive did change my mind about it totally and have driven Roblynn's on a few occasions now. The pops from the exhaust is pretty addictive lol. I would still rather have a manual over an auto any day but the one in the 200T wouldnt put my off one now :smile: A long test drive at your local dealer could persuade a lot of people. I know RUK has there track days and things but its no good to the average joe. Im Probably in the minority but id have a 200T over a 200 easy for the ride alone (dont even think the 197 was this harsh and my 172 certainly wasnt). Ive driven a none cupped 200 and thought it crashed and banged far too much for our pot hole filled roads where a cupped 200T is much better. If i did track days this maybe different.

Issue is no RS has ever been available for a proper test and by that i mean 24/48hrs.

That is the problem. As I found, once you start to really "drive" the car on a test drive to find out what its really like, the dealer gets "windy" and wants to go home!
Wimpy gits with no balls!

I doubt many sporty cars are tbh, especially Hot hatch's as they will just get trashed and ruined.
This is sadly the case I believe.

Extended test drives would attract the wrong type of people in these sort of cars with probably no intention to buy.