How much oil use is excessive?

Had the 197 big service done in January, beginning of last month I had low oil again, so put another 1L in, just got in today and its already gone down 2 notches....

is that normal???

Ive noticed no smoke at all, and no patches of oil anywhere

How many miles have you done. I had a fiesta years ago that used 1/2 litre every 1,000 miles and that was within tolerance.

Sounds quite a bit, check the spark plugs for wetness and round the head area to see if there are any signs off leaking around the rocker cover. The leaks can become apparent around the bolt holes.

I had a leaking rocker gasket but there was no outward evidence apart from a wet oily spark plug. When Renault investigated sure enough it was leaking and fixed under warranty.

Please tell me you are using the dipstick and not using the dash as an oil level indicator? They're not all that accurate and no substitute for the real thing.

My 67k 197 has used just under a litre between services and about 10k miles if that helps at all?

Please tell me you are using the dipstick and not using the dash as an oil level indicator? They're not all that accurate and no substitute for the real thing.

My 67k 197 has used just under a litre between services and about 10k miles if that helps at all?

Mines using probably double that! Ill get Mick to look into it when its in!

Cheers guys

I do a few miles, probably 5k since the big service!

Ill have a good peek round the bay tomorrow i think!

1ltr in 5k....thats fine

if it leaked a litre of oil over the engine you would know about it before now
:foxspeed:

1ltr in 5k....thats fine

if it leaked a litre of oil over the engine you would know about it before now
:foxspeed:

Not always Foxy, when my rocker gasket-sealant went the only sign was excessive oil consumption and a wet spark plug as the leak was getting into the cylinder and not out onto the head.

Not always Foxy, when my rocker gasket-sealant went the only sign was excessive oil consumption and a wet spark plug as the leak was getting into the cylinder and not out onto the head.

Mick did mention to me last time that the spark plug holes were full of oil....is that pointing toward a new gasket??

bloody cars! lol

I bought my 197 on 28k miles and it was serviced on 31k miles and it didn't use a single drop of oil. Must be a leak somewhere ?? Does it smoke at all on cold start up ??

Mick did mention to me last time that the spark plug holes were full of oil....is that pointing toward a new gasket??

bloody cars! lol

its actually like a bead of sealant and requires the belts to come off...

mine uses almost 0,5 litr / 1000 km, am yet to check for leaks but havent seen any drops on my parking spot... car is an early 197 on 70k now

You'd be amazed at the consumption figures manufacturers give. Audi allow 1L every 1000 miles, so on 20,000m service intervals they say 20L of oil used is normal.....so a litre every 5k I'd say is fine!

You'd be amazed at the consumption figures manufacturers give. Audi allow 1L every 1000 miles, so on 20,000m service intervals they say 20L of oil used is normal.....so a litre every 5k I'd say is fine!

To be fair though, whilst manufacturers do say that, if you really are consuming 1l every 1k it's likely that something isn't quite right.

To be fair though, whilst manufacturers do say that, if you really are consuming 1l every 1k it's likely that something isn't quite right.

to be fair that's how they get away with big service intervals...you top up/refresh the oil before the next service is due so they can extend it

to be fair that's how they get away with big service intervals...you top up/refresh the oil before the next service is due so they can extend it

I understand that, but I'd still be concerned if I had a car that was using 1l per 1k miles but that's just me!