how low, can you go?

Did you spend oodles of £££'s on KW V3's just to slam it on its ar5e? FLOL.

Ktec need to start flogging their Raceland things for the 197 yo. Proper sick an ting.

Complete waste imho.

Why is it a waste?

Coilovers are not designed to go that low maybe?

Looks, yes!
practicality, no
Functionality, no

H&Rs offer max of front 50mm Drop and the rears about 40mm. The OP has got the coils all the way down so well past the manufactures spec. Even though he says its not bouncy i beg to differ having owned a lot of VW with the coils all the way down. I learnt the hard way when a brand new Weitec (1k miles) had to be replaced (cant buy just one either). Manufacturer refused to replace it as it had been wound all the way down and i couldn't prove i had not (which i had) driven with it like that.

Last edited:
You can beg to differ all you like mate, I was in the car when they were put on, it drives fine.

You can beg to differ all you like mate, I was in the car when they were put on, it drives fine.

Obviously not.

pushing on and my tyres were mating with my arches , so looks like the will have to be rasied

Like i said before it looks good but totally impractical. Each to their own all that, i can only imagine im getting old and have grown out of the its low so its cool phase.

Why is it a waste?

Well, for starters its going to ground out on bumpy ground, then in order to stop the tyres hitting the arches the damping will have to be set rather stiff, which will result in it bouncing around all over the place on our UK roads - which arent always race track smooth it would seem.

The rake line of the car also looks to be changed, so the front down stance that aids turn in has been lost, most likely resulting in greater understeer at the limit.

Maybe im boring, but i prefer to have the optimum suspension settings for driving on the road/track, which 9/10 times is not just to 'slam it on its ar5e' subsequently loosing lots of suspension travel in the process.

Look at the 182 Trophy for example, its not exactly low, but is one of the best handling hot hatches ever made.

Lots of things are a waste of money from other peoples perspective.

I don't smoke - but I don't go around winding smomkers up by saying "that's a waste of money!"

Different strokes for different folks!

I blew £200 on carbon fibre badges 'cause I liked the way they looked (not to save weight or anything.) That's my silly decision and that's that.

If the fella is happy with his car and there's nothing constructive or nice to say, why not just leave him be. ..

Live and let live, aye?

who cares dave? if it really bothers u that much, why post in the first place? just cos its not for your liking, i have to change it? or i am being slated for it? sounds very childish. let me guess, you have come over from CS?
As mike said, hes been out in it this low, there has been so far next to no bouncing, and yes these are on the lowest setting that the coilovers will allow.
yes there was some rubbage last night, but did i expect that? sure did, will it have to be raised for track use? dam right. do i wanna live with how low the car is as it is now? well thats for me decide, not for keyboard warriors

I don't smoke - but I don't go around winding smomkers up by saying "that's a waste of money!"

I blew £200 on carbon fibre badges 'cause I liked the way they looked (not to save weight or anything.) That's my silly decision and that's that.

If the fella is happy with his car and there's nothing constructive or nice to say, why not just leave him be. ..

Live and let live, aye?

spot on mate :smile:

Can't we all just get along!?! :hug:

C'mon gents, Jonesy is obviously happy with it so leave him be. Fair enough if it's not to your own personal taste then a comment along the lines of ''looks nice mate but I wouldn't have mine like that because XYZ'' will suffice... Modifying cars is very much a personal thing, the comments do not have to be.

I could tell FMP or Mike or Jonesy how much I think they should've kept the Clio NA becuase I prefer NA cars and I think that part of the charm of the Clio is its rev-happy engine. And although I probably have mentioned it somewhere along the way in other threads relating to that, I've managed to do it without (to the best of my knowledge) insulting any of them or being pedantic.

For the record, I think it looks sh!t hot, but no, I wouldn't have mine that low.

Last edited:
who cares dave? if it really bothers u that much, why post in the first place? just cos its not for your liking, i have to change it? or i am being slated for it? sounds very childish. let me guess, you have come over from CS?
As mike said, hes been out in it this low, there has been so far next to no bouncing, and yes these are on the lowest setting that the coilovers will allow.
yes there was some rubbage last night, but did i expect that? sure did, will it have to be raised for track use? dam right. do i wanna live with how low the car is as it is now? well thats for me decide, not for keyboard warriors

C'mon Jonsey. Trophy owners know everything :kiss:

Looks class although with the speed-bumps round here don't think I could do it :worried:.. I'm trying to think what the lowest part of the car is as its all plastic underneath? Maybe need to be careful of the cats but I think from memory the exhaust system is recessed up in to the centre of the car? has that changed at all with the meg engine?

anyway looks great.. :smile:

not sure if its the angle its been taken at or whether its the mk3 being huge but im not a fan of it being that low :/

and im not a fan of performance orientated cars being slammed/stanced. there was a vid over on CS with an evo x being slammed on its arse and de spoilered... it was like a big '**** you' to the engineers who designed the car :worried:

Jonesy dear, it matters not what other people think of your car, and a couple of the replies are a bit :s:s:s:s tbh, as long as YOU are happy with it, that is all that matters!!! :smile::smile::smile:

I like :hug:

I would imagine if i posted up a thread called "How much can i smoke" with a picture of me smoking 30 cigarets all at once at least half the comments will be too much. Too many smokes, too many lows! Oh and i gave up 3 years ago :001_unsure:

As you say different blokes like different strokes :blush:hmy:

Jonesy dear, it matters not what other people think of your car, and a couple of the replies are a bit :s:s:s:s tbh, as long as YOU are happy with it, that is all that matters!!! :smile::smile::smile:

I like :hug:

You cant expect every comment to be praise or we would all just like the same thing and the world would be boring.

Exactly, hence:

Complete waste imho.

If the fella is happy with his car and there's nothing constructive or nice to say, why not just leave him be...

I offered constructive feedback afterwards surely? With a slightly more in depth overview of how his suspension settings will be limiting the benefits of going for V3's over V1's.

Im assuming that as a newbie i should perhaps limit my usual sarcastic demeanour until i am a more established member on here :001_unsure:

But no, why should you change anything? Surely the idea of a forum is for the sharing of ideas & opinions, which i have done, as have many others in the same thread. Many like what you have done, personally, i think unless you are wanting to mess about with settings to get the ultimate handling clio, there isnt much point paying the extra for V3's - imho. C'est la vie.

But yes, i am on CS, along with Cliotrophy, Pistonheads, M3cutters and 3 billion other forums having owned a variety of hot hatches/quick BMW's over the years. I also own a Trophy, but that doesnt make me a weird detailing freak like the rest of them :wink:

For reference, as an old git, i've also spent more time messing about with suspension settings than i care to remember both for track and road use, along with building/stripping/rebuilding numerous trackcars for both myself & mates - so im sure i can at least add something remotely useful to your forum. Especially when i pick up my 197 next week ...

I'll just be less sarcy in future. Apologies :hug:

Last edited:
LOL, fun here isn't it Dave - so long as you follow the crowd :wink:

For the record I'm an oldie too, and what you've done to this RS Clio makes me weep a little...their USP is their on-road handling ability...which with the lowz you've almost completely removed.

LOL, fun here isn't it Dave - so long as you follow the crowd :wink:

For the record I'm an oldie too, and what you've done to this RS Clio makes me weep a little...their USP is their on-road handling ability...which with the lowz you've almost completely removed.

same could be said bout CS. If it don't have Turinis it gash :hug:

It's not having an opinion it's how you put it across that is the problem, also how do you know that this car does not handle well if you have never driven it or even been for a ride in it?