how do you change headlight bulb!!??

Bumper comes off in 15 minutes.

It's easy.
Otherwise...prepare yourself to get frustrated and cut up hands

i chose the frustrated and bleeding hands method, it was made all the better when the clip decided to do one into the deepest recess of the inner liner. not a job if you've fat hands

One of the most annoying jobs I have ever attempted on a car!!

Removed the old bulb easily enough on the passenger side once i had removed the battery/fuse covers and air intake.

The issue came when the metal retaining clip came out in my hand along with the old bulb - there was no way I could get it back on/into its saddles when accessing from the engine bay as you cannot see anything, only feel things

After much swearing and frustration, I jacked the car up and removed wheel and arch liner (take out 2 screws underneath the front of the car and ease out a few plastic bungs/clips which you can see), once the liner is out, use a torch and you can then see the rear of the light cluster. I was able then to reach it to put the clip back into its saddles and clip the new bulb into place.

Its not a bad job with the arch liner out - thats the easiest way for novices Id guess without taking the bumper off

Cheers for this guide lads, noticed my passenger dipped/main lamp had gone this morning. I am going to buy some decent bosch bulbs and attempt replacement later on, or possibly the weekend if it turns out to be fiddly!

One question, should I receive a warning on the dash when a bulb isn't working? :s

Cheers for this guide lads, noticed my passenger dipped/main lamp had gone this morning. I am going to buy some decent bosch bulbs and attempt replacement later on, or possibly the weekend if it turns out to be fiddly!

One question, should I receive a warning on the dash when a bulb isn't working? :s

No, although if indicator is out it will tick at double the speed.

No, although if indicator is out it will tick at double the speed.

Ah I see, thanks. That's a bit poo. Even the wife's Citroen c2 tells you when a bulb blows! So does that display actually tell you when things go wrong on the car (the little car logo on the dash display). I assumed a dead bulb would show on there you see.

Changed my blown lamp at the weekend. It's actually not too bad. Just a fiddly job. Removing part of the Intake as described in the thread above helped a lot. Unplug the wiring loom from the lamp (pull it out gently) and just slowly pull out the old bulb. It kinda comes out one side first. The new one simply clips back in the same way. It's hard to see anything but I used the mrs's small make up mirror to assist. I need a proper one!

I did it recently, took off the battery cover, fuse cover and unbolted the alarm pressure thingie (10mm) gives enough space but its still fiddly

Just did both headlights on my 200 in about 15 minutes (perhaps 197's are harder as they have different headlights, front etc). For the 200 it is a simple job with no need for bumper removal, theres no bulb retaining clips or anything to worry about. For LHS Just remove battery lid & fuse box lid, take rubber dust cover off, pull bulb connector off, pull bulb out, push new bulb into connector & push assembly back into place. RHS is straight forward. Oh & im 110kg & my hands aren't small. No cuts or anything, no fuss.

Last edited:
Mate it took me ages to change mine, n/s one was more difficult. Just be persistent and you'll get there. Granted the cuts and scratches have finally healed ha

I've gone a guide (linked below) and [MENTION=4449]steve11[/MENTION] there are retaining clips on the projector light units on the 200.

Gosh I could not be assed with removing the bumper, there really is no need! Just patience and a small make up mirror to see what you've got to work with! (The wives mirror of course!) :smiley: