Homemade Swirl spotter

After seeing a thread over on Detailing World about how to make your own Sun Gun (Swirl Spotter) Me and my mate thought we would give it a go, so we did!!

Here's what we did

You need a drill and a halogen bulb as shown in the Picture below

f94aab5b.jpg

I bought these in B&Q for tidy some of . . . .

43f27208.jpg

First thing i did was put the battery on charge as there isn't enough juice in there to begin with. Then on to the Drill, take out the 8 screws that hold the drill together. Leaving you with this. . . .

20ac3bc0.jpg

Next thing is to cut the wires going to the motor as shown here . .
As close to the motor as possible

76e9d088.jpg

Which then ables you to take the motor out and leave you with this, I also stripped the end of the wires ready for later.

2f0dacff.jpg

Now in this particular drill the bulb needs proping up, and the switch to turn the drill between clockwise and anti-clockwise is perfect. It comes out when you take the drill apart. Position the 'prop' like so ...... and glue in place, best to use a hot glue gun for this

203b2427.jpg

Now onto the Bulb. The bulb we bought is a 35w MR low voltage downlight which is supposed to go in the ceiling in a house.

71ba3ef6.jpg

First thing to do is remove the casing from the bulb, done by pinching together the metal clips shown in picture

66fcd85d.jpg

Cut the resistor off as this is not needed, and strip the end of the wires. And then crimp wires together like so. The connections where £1.02 from B&Q for a bag of 10+

Brown to Black
Blue to Red

25205fa9.jpg

Position the bulb in place, I also glued the bottom of the bulb holder to the support.

b4276e75.jpg

Then when all is dry, I left mine over night just to be sure it was stuck, put the drill back together leaving you with this

8de3c7e6.jpg

A quick test on a scrap bonnet in my garage reveals .....

6915274c.jpg

Simple really

Hope this is of use to some people. I shall be using this today when I give my car a good going over!!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Saw this on detailingworld too, looks like a bargain compared to the sun gun! Think some people were buying colour corrected bulbs to put in them, not sure what the benefit of this is but apparently makes it even better!

Great how to! Can't believe how much the 3M Sun Guns cost?!?! Not sure If I want to see all the swirls in my car!

I made one of these ages ago after seeing it on detailing world, 3M apparently had a bit of a tiff about it to the forum?? people were also apparently using the 3M bulbs in them lol

Similar Thread Suggestions