Holograms

mdswente

Gordini 025/500
Platinum Member
Anyone know what the best/easiest way to remove holograms? What causes it in the first place?

I have a Das6 Pro DA with a selection of Menzerna and Sonus pads. I have had a look at DW forum but posts are confusing for such a novice.

May I add that it's not on the Clio but on my other car so experimenting with out concern is not a worry. The colour is Black so will be a B!tch (tricky) to sort.

Any help and advise most appreciated. :thumbup:

I'm no expert but dont move the polisher too quickly and make sure the polish breaks down properly. ie work it in to the paint. I've never had problems with holograms but I do take my time.

I didnt think there was a problem until briefly the sun decided to shine at its brightest and WOAH!

I worked the polish on the roof until it was almost impossible to remove by microfibre.

I'll give it another go. At least with it coming upto winter it will look good until next year. :lol:

Anyone know what the best/easiest way to remove holograms? What causes it in the first place?

I have a Das6 Pro DA with a selection of Menzerna and Sonus pads. I have had a look at DW forum but posts are confusing for such a novice.
:

Normally by a rotary they're inflicted by:

- Too fast a speed
- Not working the polish till it breaks down sufficiently
- Not having the pad flat
- Pad/polish combo which is too abrasive
- Dirty pad
- 'Forcing' the rotary to go in a certain direction, you need to let it flow in an arc motion
- Too big a work area

By DA you only really get them by not working a product sufficiently and/or too much pressure and moving the machine way too fast. They're hard to inflict by DA tbh but it's possible.

Easiest way to remove them is a mild abrasive or finishing polish with a polishing or finishing pad.

What pad? What polish? What size work area?

It was Sonus SFX1-SFX4 and Menzerna (three levels of cut) & a gloss finish. The holograms are on the bonnet.

I dont have a rotary so it must of been done by the following mentioned.

What did you finish with? If it was FF then your issue is with the pad choice assuming you're saying you finished with SFX4...

SFX3's should be used. SFX4's are just for LSP application and won't have enough bite to breakdown FF IME

Ok i'll give that a shot. What should the polish look like after it has been worked in sufficiently?

I dont have liquid sealant. Im still using good old wax and pad by hand.

2 pea sized blobs of FF will do ~1.5ft square.

Work time is ~2-3 minutes minimum.

One way to check it's worked enough is to 'swipe' the area with your finger ; if the polish residue is removed easily and leaves a clear swipe in the area then it's ready to be wiped off. FF should be very easy to remove once worked. If you're left with oils on the panel then an IPA wipedown will remove them (menz is known for this as their polishes, especially FF are very oily).