Hole in my engine!?!

Only noticed this today as i was under the bonnet.. :scared::scared:

I don't think this should be here?! I can see the cambelt through it.

IMAG0212.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

IMAG0213.jpg

The only time anyone has touched this part of the engine was Renault when doing warranty work (fixing the leaking rocker cover.)

it looks as if it has some sort of paste around it like it's been repaired which is possibly why i've not noticed it before! :blush:mg:

Any suggestions on how to fix (temporarely)- unless it is normal!!

EDIT: just seen a 172/182 cover of ebay which doesn't appear to have this hole - is it the same ?

Last edited:
not normal i wouldnt think
bet them buggers done it
you had it from new???

it certainly looks like a hole which hasn't been manufactured into the metal, lol. take it back to the place that did the 'warranty work' mate.

stu.

been a bodge job there - you can see the chemical metal used to cover up the crack - rocker cover not been fitted properly and its cracked so instead of fitting a complete head and cam cover (they are a matched set) they have used a metal paste to "fix" it.....very poor that and not good with a hole in to the cambelt area!!!!

dammit - i'm not happy!

foxspeed - so its a new head and cover job? - how come they are matched? so just replacing the cover is a no go?

I will be calling into the dealership that did the work next week.. bet they'll just deny all knowledge though! i should've noticed it earlier! :S

I'm also concerned about where they missing piece has gone!

dammit - i'm not happy!

foxspeed - so its a new head and cover job? - how come they are matched? so just replacing the cover is a no go?

I will be calling into the dealership that did the work next week.. bet they'll just deny all knowledge though! i should've noticed it earlier! :S

I'm also concerned about where they missing piece has gone!

the cam cover is also the cam bearing housing and are a machined pair as far as i know - so if the cam cover is damaged/broken its a complete head job!

its not a pretty site whats been done to yours thats for sure :001_rolleyes:

dammit this all sounds expensive.. i'll be waiting outside the offending dealer next week thats for sure!

my guess is they'll deny it! even though it looks pretty obvious that it has happened when the cover has been off the car (i.e. not someone dropping a spanner on it)

won't go down without a fight!

Oh dear that is a nasty job.

Gonna be a bitch to repair aswell :worried:

I'd blame it on the stealers. One very unhappy call to Renault UK usually does the trick!

I just wished i'd noticed straight after - can't remember exactly when i had it done but was defo before sept last year when the warranty ran out

Fek me thats terrible! If they had attempted a repair and it has failed after that then there is no way you would have noticed! I wouldn't be taking no for answer. They really need to sort it for you.

Hope its no hassle for you!

Hasn't dropped inside the hole going over a bump or something? Try and see if you can see inside it with a torch if it has and the cam belt is in there surly that's not good?

:s may have done.. but i'd have thought it'd have lunched the cambelt already if it did.

couldn't see anything with a torch but the bit of belt i could see looked fine.

Take it back to the garage and do NOT let them make any excuses.

If they piss you about, as people have said already, give RUK a ring. They frown upon bad service/publicity in a big way.