Hit a kerb, starter motors dead!?

Driving like a right pillock in hind sight, but was going nutty on a roundabout with an R26.R and floored it for the exit, back end stepped out, tried to correct it and it gripped and threw me into the kerb. Was a gentle collison, didn't mount the kerb or get violently forced away, more of a kiss.

Anyway stopped at nearest petrol station to check wheel, it's Fubar'd no doubt but tyre stayed inflated and steering fine, car drove to station faultless.

Get in and try to start it, ignition comes on but silence on the start. All fuses and relays checked.

Had to bump start it to get home, once home still wouldn't work. Spare key tried, battery disconnected, car locked/unlocked etc etc etc.

What am I looking at a new motor??? Subframe off to change?

Lesson learnt...

12,000 miles though?

Seems odd it chose that exact moment to go? Can't be immobiliser fault as fuel pump primes and starts on the bump.

Anyone got a price for a starter from dealers? Subframe off job?

Okay updates. Got an OEM starter motor off twingogeeko, thanks for the speedy delivery, and fitted it today.

Car still doesn't start, bench tested old starter and it works fine! Earthing and power supply cables checked and fine, all relevant fuses and relays changed.

No warning lights on dash, car starts instantly when pushing it.

I'm at wits end now, if it isn't fixed i think I may be tempted to burn it down for insurance lol. Never had such an unreliable car in my life!!!

So strange from a bit of a bump
Not know much but could it be the battery dying??? Not enough power to turn her over

I think the cabling to the starter is clipped close to the mani heatshield if the impact dislodged it doesn't take much to go through it . Has happened to mine

also I favour the cut-off switch but the car wouldn't bump start if it was! I tried when I binned my old Clio MK3 non rs

Okay had to take it up to TDF who repaired it in 5 mins flat. Renault wanted £1000+ for a new ubc control unit.

Turns out there's a fuse box under the battery! 25amp fuse had blown.

20 minutes down the road I smell petrol, get out and check and there's an inch long crack in the bottom of my tank. Bad times.

Okay had to take it up to TDF who repaired it in 5 mins flat. Renault wanted £1000+ for a new ubc control unit.

Turns out there's a fuse box under the battery! 25amp fuse had blown.

20 minutes down the road I smell petrol, get out and check and there's an inch long crack in the bottom of my tank. Bad times.

Ouch, hope you get it sorted fella, sounds like the cars rebelling after you thought about trading in...

Must be a female car

The fuse box behind the headlight has that 25 amp fuse in it. Sometimes the heat shield can move and short out causing that fuse to blow. (had it a number of times)

Check that your starter motor heat shield is tight and has plenty of clearance.

I may remove the metal shield and retro fit one of them starter motor fabric coats made from heat reflectant.

Did hitting the curb crack the fuel tank then ben? Good thing this isn't on cs or the cs angels would throw the book at you lol

It is on CS but I think because for once nobody thinks they know the problem everyone's keeping quiet!

No hit the kerb two weeks ago, fuel tank split Saturday night and dumped £80 of vpower down the drain. First owner to achieve 0mpg :wink:

Similar Thread Suggestions